Why doesn't religion inspire the same cries of "tolerance" as "gay lifestyle?"

I'm just wondering why it seems like SO many people are willing to take women to task on here for their religious beliefs, when the same people are out campaigning for tolerance of alternate lifestyles- believe it or not, religious beliefs and sexual orientation fall under the SAME protective laws.

I believe that a gay person has every right to be gay, and a person of any religion has just as much right to believe that it's wrong, as long as neither party is hurting the other.

Don't BOTH parties deserve TOLERANCE?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:20 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh,and to answer your question, yes, you better believe they both deserve the same tolerance and acceptance. We won't get it,but we most certainly deserve it!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:23 AM on May. 28, 2009

• BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT POST lovingangels! I agree with you 100%!!!!!!!! God bless you sweetie.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:22 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I believe that a gay person has every right to be gay, and a person of any religion has just as much right to believe that it's wrong, as long as neither party is hurting the other

Alot of people don't believe that this is happening. That they are being hurt by not having the same rights as you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on May. 28, 2009

• That's true. I don't understand why more people don't go for the ol' "live and let live" thing.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:25 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I think a lot of people don't necessarily care that the person is gay whether they agree with it or not. They are concerened with the definition of marriage no longer being between a man and a woman. When you start messing with sacred unions such as marriage then you are entering religious territory. Therefore, you are going to have a lot of religious people there to oppose it since it does go against their religion. There are several places in the Bible where God talks about his dispproval of the homosexual lifestyle.( I can look those up if you would like) Marriage is not a state issue it's a religious issue. No one has a problem with the civil union that the gov't gives gay people, it's when they push their lifestyle on the religious and then the state gets involved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Well I agree. We can only control ourselves and what we feel about it so while the govt and the states may be wrong in preventing gay marriage, it shouldnt be taken out on the people of faith. I know the ones screaming no to gay marriage are usually the spiritual nuts, but not always. I am a person who loves God deeply and I am conservative through and through, but I dont feel I have a right to tell another person what to do. I do however have the right to teach my kids how I feel about any given subject and feel the way I want to about it. Whether for or against.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:27 AM on May. 28, 2009

• tolerance and acceptance.

She didn't say "ACCEPTANCE" !

See, there you Libs go again,  you get a little bit and you have to try and take it all.

You don't "deserve" acceptance.

Lot's of people don't agree with homosexuality.

When are you going to deal with that?!

Homosexuals should be satisfied to accept themselves,  it has to be a stretch, given what most people around them think!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:28 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Didn't you get the memo only tolerance for homosexuals. If you believe in the Bible and all that is in the good book you are a bigot and not worthy of tolerance. We are supposed to change our beliefs so we can all be the same. Tolerance is actually being kind to those we disagree with but Liberals are changing the meaning daily. I don't agree with homosexuality never will. I don't hate them and pray for them daily. I have gay friends and family members and get along just fine with them. We have learned to agree to disagree on this. We show true tolerance for each other.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I think that we are not put here on this earth to judge others. If we do not like their beliefs or lifestyles, fine. But just as I would not want someone to tell me my religious beliefs are wrong, I do not feel that I have the right to tell other people that what they believe is wrong. So yes I think gays deserve tolerance too. Just because you tolerate it doesn't mean you have to be okay with it, it just means you don't condemn others because of it. That's not our place to do so.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:30 AM on May. 28, 2009

• BTW I don't have a problem with anyone being gay or straight I think its character that matters.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:31 AM on May. 28, 2009