why does my 16 month old keep bitting herself???

She is almost 17 months old and everytime she gets mad she will put her hand in her mouth and bit herself. Is that normal? What can I do about her bitting herself?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 10:26 AM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• It is normal. I have seen that a lot. Unfortunately it is a phase she will have to outgrow. You can try to catch her every time she does it and tell her "No No No. That will Hurt". I used to do that when I was a baby.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:31 AM on May. 28, 2009

• It's weird, but normal. Lots of kids will bite themselves just to get attention. I guess they figure that since they have a new boo-boo, you'll drop what you're doing and come running. My cousin's son started doing it when he was about 18 months old, and it drove her crazy. She begged him to stop, tried bribery, nothing worked. Until she started ignoring him. After a few days of not getting a rise out of her when he bit himself, he stopped.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 10:33 AM on May. 28, 2009

• ok my first daughter never done that so i wasn't sure if it were notmal or not lol thanks
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:33 AM on May. 28, 2009