Am I justified in being mad and my SO mother for killing herself when my daughter was visiting?

We were all visiting her, yesterday when she took her own life.

Lovcoqui04

Asked by Lovcoqui04 at 10:28 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That is very sad. I would be upset also if that had happened in front of my child. The devil got to her, and he convinced her to end her life. I would forgive her, and I would explain to my daughter the truth that she was not her real self when she had done it. Call it mentally ill or whatever, either way it is the truth. I would stress how important it is to be open with our feelings with one another in this situation. Assure her that you and her father would never do that to her. The fear of someone else doing that in the family could get to her. I have seen a lot of horrible things in life, and God helped me through it all. Pray and have faith. God bless

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 6:19 PM on May. 28, 2009

• were you close with her?
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 10:28 AM on May. 28, 2009

• why did she do it? yes I would be mad too. Why would she do that with her kids and grand kids there?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:29 AM on May. 28, 2009

• OMG, I am so sorry that is horrible. Yes, you are justified in being angry, I'm sure everyone will have a wide range of emotions for a long time. How awful for your daughter.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:29 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I am sorry for your loss. IMO,,I think you have a right to be mad...She could have did the dead when she was home alone.

Answer by louise2 at 10:33 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Wow... that is terrible. I'm so sorry, and I do think you have the right to be angry!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:34 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I am so sorry- what a terrible thing to go through! Anger after a suicide is very normal... if this persists talking to grief counselor or another counselor may help you to resolve some of your feelings. But you are certainly entitled to your feelings, and anger is very natural under the circumstances. Wishing you and your family peace at a difficult time.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:35 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I would say yes & no.

Yes ~ because it's normal to go through all sorts of emotions when someone dies -- especially in an unexpected & tragic way. Sometimes you'll feel the anger & not really have anyone to direct it at, so you just end up picking someone.

No ~ because for her to have done something like that means that she was in unimaginable turmoil. I don't know her background...I don't know if she was in severe physical pain or emotional pain or had psychiatric issues or whatever... so I can't speak specifically.

Initially, I think I'd be angry, too..... but after the shock wore off & the chaos of making arrangments and getting her affairs in order was over.... my anger would turn to compassion.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:37 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Well yes that was quite selfish of her, but its likely that in her state of mind...your thoughts were th last thing on her mind. I think your reaction is quite normal. So sorry for your loss. Think of speaking wtih a counselor or therapist just to talk about what youre feeling.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:46 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I am so very sorry for your loss. 

You are going to be going through all kinds of emotions right now but I think you have a right to be angry, when she knew full well that her grandchildren would witness such a traumatising event.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:49 AM on May. 28, 2009