How many other Latinas are not so proud of Sotomayor?

I want to find out how many latinas are like me and are not happy with the nominee for supreme court. I dont feel it should mean now we are validated. I have no need for someone like her and her advances to mean some kind of victory of latina women. She doesnt stand for values of the latina women I know. So I want to start a new group to see who feels like I do. Because this process will go on for a time to make difference.

Vivian63

Asked by Vivian63 at 10:30 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• She is soft on drug dealers.

She thinks judges MAKE the laws.

She has no clue what the 2nd amendment means because she thinks it "doesn't apply to states or cities."

She is a racist.

What a sad choice to resprent a poplulation of great people.

Sorry OP, I am not Latina. I was enjoying reading the answers and smiling to myself because of so many smart women! Then I came across the list of 10..........
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:53 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I'm not.

Obama is pleasing women and brown people in one person, trying to assure future votes for the devoid of thought or conscious.

Nominees should want to be nominated based on their accomplishments alone and ideally would want to avoid even the appearance of anything else. She has made racist comments that should cause her to be excluded from consideration.
    There is nothing for the Hispanic community to be proud of in her nomination, even though they are being told they should be thrilled!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:34 AM on May. 28, 2009

• So what are the values you stand ?????????
    People making her to be their validation of something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I'm not latina, so maybe my answer doesn't count...

but it irritates the hell out of me that all I keep hearing about her is how she came from humble beginnings. Yes she is proof that you can do whatever you want in life if you work for it. And she should be commended for her hard work that it took to get where she is, but the same is true of everyone else whose "made something" of themselves, without regard to gender, race, or religion. But that alone does not make someone qualified to be a justice.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:44 AM on May. 28, 2009

• just a question but since you're not at all pleased with the nomination of Sotomayor who would you all like to see be nominated? It's easy to say that you're not happy with something or someone, so lets say for second that you get to nominate someone who would it be?

I'm interested because there seems to be a lot of ladies who agree with you however, I don't have a clue whom I would nominate.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:45 AM on May. 28, 2009

• It's okay w/ me if a woman is nominated.

It's okay w/ me if a Latina is nominated.

But she should be immensely dignified, not have loose lips spewing her ridiculous ideas, and ideally would be conservative.

Fat chance.................................
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:48 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I think everyone needs to be contacting their congressman. It's the only way anything is going to be done about the displeasure in the nominee. Us sitting here complaining to each other doesn't do any good in the realm of government. We have to complain to the people that are going to be making the decision for us. I think some people forget that.

Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:54 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Yes, well we can discuss it, that's what Cafe Mom is for.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:55 AM on May. 28, 2009

• She is well qualified for the position with 20 years of experience and nearly 400 appellate court decisions/opinions to show her record. I am not a latina, but why would you not be proud of her?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I want a nominee that is a Jurist not a wanna be legislature. And one who is fair, not like her when she voted to throw out the New Haven firefighters promotion test just cause none were black, however there was one Latino whose score was thrown out with the others a Mr Vargas what does that say for her and her minority loyalty. She has pure liberal blood running through her veins.
    Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 11:05 AM on May. 28, 2009