Should I be doing this?

My son is 5 months old, should I be brushing his gums with baby toothpaste?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:30 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sure why not? Though you could also just use a damp cloth if you feel better about it. If he has teeth already you should be washing them every day at least twice per day. If no teeth it doesn't hurt because the bacteria is still there and it's waiting for a tooth to pop through so that it can latch on to it as soon as it cuts!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:32 AM on May. 28, 2009

• my dentist always told me its never to young to start as long as its baby toothpaste and he seems ok with it then go for it. Plus they usualy like the messaging on the gums when theyre teething.
    mandy2004

Answer by mandy2004 at 10:34 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Thanks! :) And no he doesn't have any teeth, YET! lol
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:36 AM on May. 28, 2009

• We just used water until they were toddlers, but it shouldn't make a difference.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:43 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My daughter has 2 teeth and I used to use a wet washcloth but now I have the rubber finger brush and water, I have been thinking about getting the baby toothpaste but didnt know if it was ok either.
    Proudmama0887

Answer by Proudmama0887 at 11:03 AM on May. 28, 2009

• i always used a cloth to clean DD's mouth out. Just a cloth and water.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:35 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Before teeth, just wipe the gums twice a day with a clean, damp washcloth. After teeth, just brush with water at first, then start with a teeny dap of toothpaste.
    Before choosing a toothpaste, or any body product, check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce). www.ewg.org

Answer by rkoloms at 12:08 PM on May. 28, 2009

• the gerber grins and giggles infant toothpaste has no flouride in it i have been using it on my son since he was 4 months old he loves it and it was recommended by his ped.doctor and i swear by it.
    haydns_mommy

Answer by haydns_mommy at 12:27 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My daughter always loved the finger brushes and the Oral-B baby toothpaste. I started when she was about 3 months old. She is 17months now and uses the same toothpaste and a toddler tooth brush. She loves to brush her teeth.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:38 PM on May. 28, 2009