Help! My son is scared of his potty seat! How can I ease his fears and show him it's okay?

We have tried 3 different little potty chairs and they all had something wrong with it, so I got him a step stool and a toddler seat for the toilet. He loves playing in the toilet (though I do NOT let him). Why is he so afraid to sit on it and how can I show him it is okay? Thanks!!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:45 AM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• how old is he?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:49 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My oldest daughter wasn't too fond of her potty chair at first either. I finally sat it right in front of the big potty so we could face each other, and we'd go together. After she saw me sit on the toilet without being gobbled up by the toilet monster, she would sit on hers with no problem.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 10:51 AM on May. 28, 2009

• 18 months. But he is ready for potty training. When we had his last little potty he would sit on it all the time. But, I found out real quick that the splash guard was too short when he peed all over the bathroom >.< And I've tried all the potties walmart had and there's not where else near me that sells them...
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:52 AM on May. 28, 2009

• It's the fear of something different. He's been used to having a diaper for so long. With my son I discovered that potty-training was literally a hand-holding experience. If I would sit in the bathroom with him every single time he would go potty or especially if he had to poop and talk to him the whole time about something other than going to the bathroom he would feel more comfortable and not be so scared. Eventually, he realized that going to the bathroom IN the bathroom didn't have to be such a big scary deal. It was completely normal. You just have to get his mind off of it.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 10:54 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My daughter was petrified of the potty. She wouldn't try it until she was 3 1/2. We finally had to force her on it. Then she was so happy she finally did it she ran upstairs and put on underwear and that was that. She never had an accident. There is something to be said for waiting that long.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:48 PM on May. 28, 2009