Has anyone been able to breastfeed after having a breast reduction?

I had a large breast reduction. They took off about 10 lbs. I went from an I cup to a C cup. I will be delivering a baby girl by c-section on June 5, 2009 and I would really like to breastfeed. I wanted to know if there any moms who had this surgery who were still able to breast feed after.

momof2angels3

Asked by momof2angels3 at 10:46 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whoah girl!! !10 lbs. You had some major breasts. Yes I had a reduction in 02 and had a baby in 06. No, I was not able to breastfeed. I did lactate, but just a little. I could tell the day after birth that my breasts were not filling up like they did in previous children. They were just barely producing. He latched on well but within a few sucks, it was gone. I did latch him on here and there just to bond, but if he was hungry, I had to give him a bottle. Its okay to let them suck though. Its comforting, but it wont produce the nourishment they need. Its a sad thing, but I know your pain. They took 3 lbs off mine and I cant even imagine 10 lbs. Let me ask you a few q's. When you had your surgery, did the doc say that your breasts were mostly tissue and not fat?? Did they take off the nipple? If you had mostly tissue and with an I cup, I will bet you it was, then most of your mammory glands went with it. CONT.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:09 AM on May. 28, 2009

• You will probably have a little bit of milk, but not enough to sustain her. If you want to try, then latch her on and see. If youre nipple was removed then probably not at all. You never know. Be prepared to supplement, but pump out what you can. Even a little bit of milk from you is better than none at all. My sons doc said that 2 oz a day that I was getting was filled with immunity and antibodies for him and it was great. I would really like to know how you do with this, so PM me after your baby is born and let meknow. Also if you have any questions at all, then feel free to ask me as well. How far post surgery are you? Also the lactation nurses do not usually help you in this. Unless they have had a patient experience it, then they wont' know, but they can help you get her latched on. I wish you the best and I know that pain of large breasts. I am a c now as well.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:12 AM on May. 28, 2009

• There is an excellent book and a website dedicated to breastfeeding after breast reduction. Go to bfar.org

You will find a TON of info there!!

Look for the book Defining your Own Success: Breastfeeding After Breast Reduction Surgery by Diana West

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:26 AM on May. 28, 2009

• You need to get the support of a LC. Contact one now before you have the baby.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:30 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I wished I had known about those websites and books. I am sure they would have been helpful to me. I was pretty knowledgeable about breastfeeding to begin with but I would have love to known ways to help the milk, if there are any.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:32 AM on May. 28, 2009