5 yr DD complaining of hip/thigh pain

My DD started complaining of her upper thigh hurting lastnight, then this morning when she woke up she said her leg was stiff and she couldn't walk. Now she says it hurts right around the area of her hip bone. Could this be growing pains or something else???? She is usually pretty active, but has done nothing but sit on the couch all morning. Her pedi hasn't called me back yet, I called him an hour ago to see what he recommended.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on May. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would just think they were growing pains. Did she maybe do some kind of activity yesterday where she may have strained a muscle in her upper thigh?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:56 AM on May. 28, 2009

• It could be growing pains but I had a daycare child with something similar and it was more serious. I wouldn't mess around with it.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:02 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I had the same type of pain in my left knee, starting at about age eight. I complained until my mother took me to the doctor, who naturally told her that it was just growing pains. The pain persisted, and at age thirteen, I was finally diagnosed with arthritis. I'm not saying that your daughter has any real medical problem, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd take her to her doctor, get a diagnosis from him, and a referral to a rheumatologist if the pain doesn't go away.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 11:32 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I thought growing pains too. ut my 5yr is very active and takes martial arts that his daddy teaches and every now and then I say he's running a little funny and daddy checks him out by having him lay on his tummy with his arms at his side and pulls his heels together and finds that his legs are not even which means his hip is out of place. my son get like this just running and falling in class. luckly for us that daddy is experienced on how to fix this, saves us on Chiropractor visits
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:00 PM on May. 28, 2009