Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ok so can i get child support if my sons father is in prison

my ex husband is in court right now more then likely hes looking at 15 years minimum... Is there anyway I can get child support while he is in there or would I have to wait til he gets out .... my job has cut back on hours I'm not even getting 25 hrs a week for working full time and I start school next month its really hard I'm going to file anyway so i can get government help at least until i can support my son and I hopefully by the time i graduate please help......

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (10)
  • i dont noe if its true but i heard u cant get child support from some1 unless they have a job.

    Answer by Desi2Sweet at 11:10 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • Prisoners have jobs but they only get paid like a couple bucks an hour if that. You may have to wait until he is out of prison. You need to call a lawyer and ask for some free advice.

    Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:14 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • You can try..But it's like trying to get blood from a rock..No job,No child support.

    Answer by louise2 at 11:22 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • You should qualify for Families First or another program similar to it. Go to your local DHS to see what advice they may have for you.

    Answer by 3_is_enough at 11:24 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • I would talk to a lawyer. There might be ways to get something from him but im not sure. I was told some places you can get "child support" from the state when your in that situation. But im not sure if thats true or not.

    Answer by Shelii at 11:26 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • In Oklahoma you can't. I have afriend going through something similar, he has been in prison for 4 years and she is on her own. She could get TANF but she has to not be working to be able to qualify, and that just wasn't going to cut it for her. I dont know how it is in other states, but here it won't happen.

    Answer by AK_aries at 11:49 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • No, but you can get tnaf, which when he gets out of prison he will have to pay back, even if he got 30 yrs. My sister was in the same situation, she got tnaf for 2yrs while in school and now doesnt need it but the child support is still racking up for when he gets out.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on May. 28, 2009

  • Nope your pretty much screwed sorry

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • like a pp mentioned there is tanf in general if they dont have a job you cant get child support but you can sue for back child support and if your child turns 18 and there is still an outstanding balance your child can then sue as well

    Answer by katiekruschke at 12:40 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • TANF. It's supposed to be instead of child support. They will have to pay that back to the state when they get out. However, you can't' have a job and be on TANF and TANF doesn't even pay rent. So good luck with that. I'm in the same position.

    Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:49 PM on May. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.