Shut the door or leave it open??

My DD is 19months and we are going to start letting her sleep in her room in her big girl bed. When I put her to bed do I shut the door or leave it open. I have a monitor in the room so I can hear her but tell me what you moms do? My house is one level and EVERYTHING is baby proof so if I left the door open she couldn't get into anything. No bashing....just a question....Thanks ladies!!!!

ToberzMama

Asked by ToberzMama at 11:20 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I leave my door open. I put a baby gate in the hallway so the only place they can go when they get up is in my room.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:23 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I think you should shut it so she won't hear you.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:23 AM on May. 28, 2009

• i leave door open but i have a gate up so if my son gets up at 5 am i will know. lol.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:23 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Shut it.Sense you have a monitor

Answer by louise2 at 11:25 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I keep both my kids' doors shut so that the house noise doesn't disturb them. But, my oldest is 32 months old and still in a crib. I would be scared to put her in a big girl bed that young.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:38 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I think it really comes down to personal choice. I prefer to sleep with my door open in the summer, and closed in the winter (cool air in, hot air out, you know). If you sleep with your door close, it would be fine to close DD. If you sleep with yours open, leave hers open! I would definitely put up a baby gate though, even if the whole house is baby proofed. I wouldn't feel safe with my DD wandering around, no matter how protected my home was.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 12:15 PM on May. 28, 2009

• we put the gate up in the hallway too and so he can only come into our room. i dont like shutting his door all the way...i shut it enough but never all the way.
    ldylancer03

Answer by ldylancer03 at 12:19 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Neither is wrong. We leave our dd's door open until she is asleep, then we close it. We do it to keep the cat's out. She can open it, so I'm not worried. She's 2.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:10 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I agree it's largely personal choice. We tried both a gate and closing the door. I found that closing the door worked better. It blocked more sound, I could walk past the door without getting his attention and I knew he couldn't escape. However, I also put a gizmo on the door to prevent him from being able to open it. His room is right near the head of the stairs and we can't gate it due to the layout of the hall.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:21 PM on May. 28, 2009

• We have those things you can put on the door so the kids won't shut their fingers in the door. So we shut it far enough where that hits the trim. I also put a baby gate on his door at night so he can't get out at this point. He likes to get into anything he can find.
    mothercherry

Answer by mothercherry at 2:42 PM on May. 28, 2009