Problems with 13 yr old naptime help!

My 13 month old is a horrible sleeper she thinks she is going to miss out on something if she falls asleep. At night we put her in her crib and she cries for like 5 min then goes to sleep. Nap time is another story. She will not go to sleep no matter what unless I am holding her or we are in the car. I tried laying with her on my bed and then slip away but she "catches" me when Im just at the door. I have had her in her crib for 10-15 min now and she is screaming bloody murder please someone help me I am deprived of me time. I can never get anything done during the day because she will be cranky the rest of the day if she doesnt nap.

madisonsmom419

Asked by madisonsmom419 at 11:25 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you trying to give too many naps? My son is 14 months old. He goes to bed at 930pm and wakes at 9am. He too doesn't cry but 5 minutes(if that) when we lay him down at night. For naps I lay him down at 1130. And he sleeps between an hour and 2 1/2 hours. Depending how tired he is. Then takes another nap between 4-5. You may be trying to give too many naps. Or too soon. I would try putting soft lullaby music on. Make sure she has her comfort item. I give my son a binky still but only at nap time and bed time and he always has his blankey.

Good luck.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 11:29 AM on May. 28, 2009

• She goes to bed at 8:30 wakes up between 6-7am and usually goes down around 10-11am for her nap then again around 3-4pm she naps when shes tired and thats usually when she starts to crash. I put on her Music and she screams over it she doesnt take a binky at all and really doesnt have a comfort item.
    madisonsmom419

Answer by madisonsmom419 at 11:34 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Sounds like she's outgrown the 2 naps a day. Try putting her down for one nap at 12:00 and making her bedtime 8:00.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:36 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Once my daughter hit 10 months old I couldnt take the two naps a day thing so I switched her over to one nap a day. To my surprise she went right for it within two days. Thats the advice that I would give try to switch her to one nap and if she dosent seem to want to go down say at 11 then try 12 the next day or 1, each kid needs naptime at a different hour :) hope you get your problem solved
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:11 PM on May. 28, 2009

• At that age my daughter decided it was time for just one nap a day. Which is usually right after lunch. She curls up in my lap and is out within 15 min.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:04 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I went to one nap with my son around that time too. He'd go down around 11 and lseep for 2 hours. Gradually it moved later to around 12:30. Initially he'd be a bit grumpy late afternoon but he adjusted.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:19 PM on May. 28, 2009