Protein shakes?

I hear alot of people talking about drinking them but what do they do? Do they make you lose weight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Your body needs protein in order to build and tone muscle. One food that many forget is important in every person's diet is protein b/c the body requires it, working out or not.

Keep a check on the calories, tho with protein shakes, b/c often they are meant to help those gain weight, but there are some shakes, that are high protein, but are still able to keep the calories low enough. If you are using it for a meal replacement, then of course, you need to keep the calories higher, but that is also depending on how much of a workout that you do each day. :)

I like slim fast high protein shakes, but I have discovered that the carb content, at least for my body, keeps my middle from losing the inches that I work so hard at. Basically, you have to find what works best for you and your activity level.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:30 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Your body needs protein. I find when I have protein I don't get hungry as quickly as from carbs.
    The chocolate protein drink I take also helps me regulate my blood sugar levels.
    They can help you lose weight by helping you feel full longer and in my case reducing sugar cravings.

You can also take a supplement to help boost metabolism.
    Muscle weighs heavier than fat so you want to aim for inch loss rather than just weight loss.
    You should see the scales go up before they go down.

Let me know if you would like to know more about the protein shake I use or about body wraps to help lose inches fast.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 7:04 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Most Americans eat WAY too much protein. I urge you to do your own research. Here is what the Heart Assn reports: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11234

Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 PM on May. 28, 2009

• rkoloms is correct. Most Americans eat waay too much meat portions. At the same time, the body also requires protein with each meal in order to work correctly and maintain health. The way to know how much protein to serve is 2-4 oz. with each meal. That can be an egg, beef, chicken, lamb, fish, lentils, nuts.

Your protein will also contain the majority of your calories so you want your choice to be lean when you are eating meat, like skinless chicken, adding no fat to dried beans like fatback or bacon, and lean cut beef, tuna packed in water.

Without regular protein in the diet, the body has nothing to build or maintain muscle. Also, protein is what facilitates carbs in the diet. Sugar or starches without protein creates a spike in blood sugar. When the pancreas has too much sugar then it stores it on the body in order to protect itself. This creates fat in the mid section for most women.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:29 PM on May. 28, 2009