Kindergarten preperation........

What things do they need to know going into kindergarten?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Not necessarily things they have to know, but Things that would help to get aheadstart on things include, knowing their colors, shapes, recognizing letters (not just signing the ABC song, but showing a letter and saying which letter is this), recognizing their name written down and practice writing it, alot of it is also playing with other children, sharing, and following directions. That should make for a really smooth transition. I do know that private schools have stricter guidlines, but here alot of the kids in my son't class couldnt even sing the ABC's.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:42 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Sorry I ment singing, not signing the ABC's...although that would be cool to have a kindergartener do that, lol
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:44 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Make sure they have at least seen and heard the different letters. I don't mean singing ABC either. They may not have to know all by sight, but, it helps. Same with numbers. Make sure they can count at least some. Because they will be counting by tens and twenties before long. Make sure they can tie their shoes or will be wearing velcro...teachers won't have time to tie shoes all day. Make sure your child can understand two part directions, it will be a big help. Can they holda pencil properly? Make a stick figure? Ability to stay in one center until teacher moves them to another.
    They don't have to be able to do all these things.....These are helpful abilities to have when starting. It will make sure they are already on the road to learning and well prepared for it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:45 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I forgot to add....can they write their name or at least recognize it in print.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:46 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Make sure they can write their name in upper and lower case. It is not correct to write it in all upper case letters.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:45 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My son is 5 and had to take an eval. last month to register for k.
    They asked him:
    full name
    parents full name
    cut with scissors
    write a few numbers/ count to 100
    write leters
    draw shapes
    write name
    know phone number
    know address
    This was all done with me not in the room. She said some kiddos know all of it, some don't. Just shows the school a starting point for the school year. GL don't stress.
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 5:00 PM on May. 28, 2009