my little boy doesnt seem understand that he needs to use the bathroom and not pee in his pants. How do i get him to understand and tell us when he needs to go?

pottie training a 3 year old boy

Yassel

Asked by Yassel at 11:48 AM on May. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you need to be consistent. get a timer. take him to potty every 20 minutes. and ask him if he needs to potty all the time. you are going to sound like a broken record but he will eventually learn. try a sticker chart that is what helped with my son.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:58 AM on May. 28, 2009

• When I potty trained my boys, I stripped them down naked and let them run around that way. Whenever I saw them going potty, or about to go potty, I would take them to their potty seats. I carried it from room to room with us, so it was always close by. It took a couple days, but they got the hang of it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:59 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Take the diaper/pullup off and put big boy underwear on him..At least in the daytime..Keep on bring him to the potty.. Him feeling the wetness will make him understand more about were to potty.

Answer by louise2 at 12:02 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Is he brand new t or is he almost 4? He may not be ready. Be consistent, frequent reminders. A timer hasn't helped me train them. The timer was just a reminder for me to ask, until they figure out how it feels and when he has to go, its an uphill battle. The biggest mistake we can make is train ourselves, not them. Going potty is the ultimate thing a child has complete control over. Give him lots of praise when he succeeds. A sticker works great if they are old enough to understand the reward. Don't use candy or buy him things. Think of an appropriate reward for your situation. Then stop the stickers for just trying, only when he goes. Then move the sticker to if "he tells you" he has to go, etc... Remember, undressing and dressing themselves and cleaning themselves is part of potty training. When he has accomplished it all, then you are done.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:18 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I had a problem with my son potty training and having accidents and he really wasn't sure himself why he was having accidents.....I stopped with the traditional underwear...I mean i bought spiderman under pants and told him not to get spiderman wet...he did anyway.
    So I switched to boxers!!! and haven't had a problem since!!! now i got him to wear boxer briefs and he's pretty cool with that but he does not the typical underwear.
    try boxers is my best advice!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:26 AM on May. 29, 2009