Your teen just said they were gay.... Do you change sleepover habits?

Ive always been curious about this.... We dont let girls spend the night with boys--but what happens to all this if your child says they are gay (or bisexual) . Do you still say GIRLS only at your daughters sleepovers? (or visa-versa with boys)

How would you handle something like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Personally i wouldnt worry about it. Just because they're gay doesnt mean they are attracted to everyone the same sex. They can have friends that are the same sex, and have no interest in them at all. Kids are gunna do what they wanna do no matter what, sometimes trying to stop them makes them what to do it more.
    holly082290

Answer by holly082290 at 12:51 PM on May. 28, 2009

• how old is your child. your child being gaye doesn't mean he/she isn't normal in other ways they can still be around straight kids
    Myni

Answer by Myni at 12:30 PM on May. 28, 2009

• It would depend on the nature of the sleepover. When I was a teen I had a couple coed sleepovers. They were4 supervised by a church and we all just had a good time and nothing naughty happened. Go with your gut. Maybe if your daughter is having girls over the door has to be open at all times. It doesnt mean she wants to be romantically involved with EVERY girl but it is smart to protect her form makign decisions she is not old enough to understand the repercussions of. Pregnancy may be off the table but there is still the issue of STDs and the new emotions that come with being intimate with someone. I would still allow boys or girls over but the door needs to be open. If teh door closes no nore sleep overs period.
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 12:33 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I would be pro-active in making sure they knew and understood the importance of safety in whatever situation they were in....as well as try to be supportive of their decisions. I wouldn't disallow sleepovers because of it, but make sure they are well informed. I think many teens end up in bad situations because they are not well informed...that goes for gay, straight, bisexual...any of it. And the fact of the matter is, I believe, a teen who wants to have sex is going to whether you tell them to or not and whether you like it or not....better then be informed and know how to do it safely instead of ending up in a really bad spot.
    Anonymous

• it depends. lock ins at church are a bit different. i wouldn't normally allow a boy to stay over iwth my teen daughter. if she is gay then why would i allow a girl to stay.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:47 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Thank goodness you have a child that would confide in you!! I wouldn't stress about this too much, if anything was going to happen trust me it has already!! From your question I assume you have a daughter, please take her to the clinic so someone can explain "dental dams' etc.. Lesbians can give each other STDs too.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:19 PM on May. 28, 2009

• This isnt about my child :) (shes only 2 right now!)... it was just a curious question...
    I am Bisexual & always wondered what my parents would have done if i told them a few of my good friends were more than just friends..
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry but I am a parent not her friend. I do not have to have her like me, I just have to keep her safe.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:51 PM on May. 28, 2009