At what age do you teach your child to dial 9-1-1?

Just wondering.... because I keep seeing little blurbs in the newspaper about little kids dialing 911 and hanging up.

l-momoftwo

Asked by l-momoftwo at 12:30 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i thought my son when he was four wich is when he was able to identify numbers. i thought him my phone number and emergency phone numbers. i also made a great point in making sure he understands when he should dial 911
    Myni

Answer by Myni at 12:31 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Whenever they can understand the difference between an emergency and non-emergency and when to just call mommy.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:32 PM on May. 28, 2009

• 4-5. My boys and I practice on toy phones and they KNOW they are not allowed to use the real phone unless it is a real emergency.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:45 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I would say school age when the understand what a true emergency is. In our county, if your child gets a hold of a phone and dials 911 and there is no emergency,you get in trouble. They charge you for the time spent coming to your home for nothing.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:45 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My kids were taught in pre-school at age 4 but they had an officer come in and stress the only reasons you should call.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 1:19 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I never did, but Head Start did and it was a good thing because I was out in a snowstorm with the snowblower one day and passed out - I couldn't breathe.
    My DD#2 was 4 at the time and dialed 911 while her older sister was freaking out. When they asked her for the address she couldn't remember it, but she told them it was the blue house on top of the hill...LOL.
    I guess they were able to trace the call and find us. The hospital found that I had pneumonia with an asthma attack and shouldn't have been out in the cold (duh!).
    The emergency department rewarded my girls (all 3 of them) with certificates and bears, an article about DD#2 was written in the paper, and a photo of the 3 of them was with it.
    Head Start did a good job teaching her how and when....thank goodness!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:46 PM on May. 28, 2009