Would you like to be a sahm?

So, if you are a working mom, would you like to be a sahm? IF you would like to be a sahm, why do you have to work? This is just a curiosity question. My sister wants to be a sahm but her Hubby wants her to work. I know for other's they want to but financially they can not.
This is NOT about sahm's beng better than working momma's, so no drama please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am A SAHM and I love being accessible to my child at all times. These days it is hard to know who you can trust your child with. Licensed daycare facilities are being charged with murder of children adn it is scary. For some of us being the sole caretaker of our children just brings a piece of mind we could never have if we worked outside our home. I admire working moms. It's a lot to cope with
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 12:38 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Sometimes I think I would, but in reality I would probably miss my job. Ideally I guess I'd like to work a little less than I do now and maybe have 3 or 4 days off each week instead of 2, but that's not an option. I work partly because it affords my family a certain lifestyle and allows us to pay for health insurance without worrying if we'll have enough to buy groceries. Since I can work, I would feel like a bum if I didn't. I take pride in the fact that my husband and I support our family completely, and I like not having to struggle to pay the bills. If my husband's income were to suddenly double, then I might consider taking a break to SAH until my youngest was in school, but I don't forsee that happening.
    Anonymous

• I am a F/T working mom, and I don't think I would like being a sahm. I have a fulfilling, successful career and I worked long and hard to get to the place where I am. I am the breadwinner in my family and am proud of that. I think we could afford to have my husband stay at home if he wanted, but my son loves his daycare and friends, we have a huge amount of support from our families if we need it. That may seem selfish, but a happy mom is a good mom, I think. As long as my son continues to be happy and well-adjusted, the stay at home question is not an issue.
    Maybe your sister could work part time? I would think that would be a nice compromise.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 12:44 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I went from working 6days a week down to 3 after my 2nd child. I work in a resturant so on sat. & sun the kids are home with the hubby and on Mon I have a sitter come to the house. I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I don't feel the guilt for leaving my child because they are with their dad and spend quality 1 on 1 time with him. During the week it is just me & the kids (hubby doesn't get home until 830) And honestly, by the time sat am rolls around, I am ready to spend 4 hours with adults and have adult conversations.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 1:21 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I honestly dont think I could handle being a sahm. I work a full time job. I have off 2 days a week that i spend with my toddlers. And by the end of the day, my nerves are shot! I dont know how my sitter does it. They love her and she cares for them very well. I do things with my kids and feel that we have our mommie time together, but i think i would get over-loaded being home everyday with them. I think it would make me a bad mom. I enjoy the time we spend together and make it special.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:30 PM on May. 28, 2009