Did you know that they lie?

Some time ago my mother adopted a dog from the local human society. She signed a contract with them that if she decided to get rid of him she'd bring him back to them and not to someplace else (they want to make sure their animals don't end up in a kill shelter). They never mentioned to her that the dog had major food aggression and had a lot of emotional problems. He was fine at first but slowly started revealing himself to be crazy, especially if there was food out. Finally my mother decided that it was too dangerous to keep him around. He had bitten several people (including me) and he was getting worse and more territorial. She brought him back to the shelter and explained why she was bringing him back. They were rude to her but took him. A few weeks later my mother saw him on their adoption web page with a new name and a made up bio - cont.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm very aware they all shelters lie....to adopt out rather than put down. Your mother should have had the dog euthanized.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:42 PM on May. 28, 2009

• The new bio said that he belonged to a family that got a new puppy and didn't want him anymore! My mother was furious because it made her look like a selfish jerk AND because it was a total lie which is so dangerous if another family should adopt him. They clearly had no intentions of mentioning the fact that he was an aggressive and dangerous dog! Luckily he was a small-medium sized dog. Still, he could really hurt someone!

Did you know that they lie about this sometimes?
    Anonymous

• My DH & I had got a puppy from animal welfare in fall '06 & they said that she was 100% healthy, etc, etc. Needless to say within two days she was sick & had to be put down due to parvo. TWO DAYS AFTER BRINGING HER HOME... it takes a week for it to manifest so she was sick in the shelter. When we brought in the papers from the vet about her being put down they blamed us for her getting sick & refused to give us our money back. They told us we could take another animal in her place instead after 30 days so that the virus could be gone from my home. They didn't even care that my other dog had been exposed because of their lying.
    Anonymous

• OP here - She signed a contract that she would return the dog. She was legally bound to return it to the shelter if she wasn't going to keep it.

We should have known that something was fishy because the previous owners had driven the dog up to Maine to leave him at a kill shelter. It just so happened that the people at the shelter knew this dog and the shelter he came from so they returned him instead of putting him down. He was basically on death row when they adopted him to my mother. (She didn't find this out until after she got him home).
    Anonymous

• Op here- my mother watched every episode of the dog whisperer. She is really very good at training dogs, and she even hired a professional trainer to come to the house. He bit the trainer and drew blood.

It started out as food aggression, but it turned into CONSTANT aggression and territorial behavior. My nephew was 3 at the time and lived with my mother. She just couldn't take the chance he might hurt the boy.

The dog was psychotic. The early presentation of it was food aggression, but it progressed far beyond that.
    Anonymous

• I guess it would depend on the shelter. I volunteer at one and we don't lie to place animals. Dogs are put through tests to make sure that they don't have food aggression and if they have any signs of aggression at all they are considered unadoptable. I have 4 rescued dogs and they are all the sweetest tempered dogs, not one ounce of aggression in any of them.
    Anonymous

• ANONYMOUS......I guess it would depend on the shelter. I volunteer at one and we don't lie to place animals. Dogs are put through tests to make sure that they don't have food aggression and if they have any signs of aggression at all they are considered unadoptable. I have 4 rescued dogs and they are all the sweetest tempered dogs, not one ounce of aggression in any of them.

And then what does your shelter do with the "unadoptable" dogs? Put them down, correct? I've been working with dogs for 30 years. There are just some dogs that have to go. Not all dogs are "sweethearts".

EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:09 PM on May. 28, 2009

• PRETTYLILRAE......Euthanized? For food agression that could be worked with? Are you serious? Call Cesar Chavez... he's a bada$$ who can work with ANY problem a dog presents.

Cesar Chavez? He's a labor activist.....what does he have to do with dog problems?

EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:11 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I'm sure they lie. If they told the truth, do you really think anyone would adopt the dog? They probably lie, that in hopes someone will keep it and make things work. Sounds like it belonged on a farm with no other dogs or children around?
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 1:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Sometimes I think there is noway around it and the animal has to be put down. I don't think most shelters lie. We adopted a puppy from one and we adopted him specifically because he only had one eye due to being hit by a car (his name is Cyclops).

I've also had a puppy die of parvo and it took 2 days for him to show signs of being sick and dying.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:27 PM on May. 28, 2009