• In the Spotlight:

how do you perfectly put icing on a cake?

whenever i put icing on a cake, it doesn't go on smoothly. i wait till it is cool, but it hasn't helped yet. what type of instrument do you use to put the icing on the cake evenly? any tips will be a big help, thanks! :)

rachelsmommy78

Asked by rachelsmommy78 at 12:55 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My sister is a cake decorator. She put the cake in the freezer for two hours before trying to frost it. She also uses a Wiltons frosting knife.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:57 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Absolutely perfectly.... you can't tell where any of the finger-swipes are! LOL I've never been real great at making perfect icing; I just slather it on with a butter knife. Now, I do always wipe up any oops that I make on the plate.... that's as perfect as I get.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:03 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think you are supposed to take a very thin layer of icing and smear it all over and let it set, that makes then glob the rest on. That way you don't get any crumbs or anything like that mixed in the icing.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:20 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Find an icing spatula, Wilton or not. Put a crumb coat on first, meaning that you thin some icing and spread a thin layer over the cake then let it dry. Once it's dry, spread the rest of the icing on the cake. To make it smooth get a tall glass of very hot water. Dip the spatula in it then carefully smooth the icing.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:41 PM on May. 28, 2009

• cool the cake and heat up the frosting. Frosting should always be at room temperature or a little warmer. If it's being difficult, try microwaving it for five to ten seconds. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:15 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Let the cake cool completely. Then spread a very thin layer of frosting on the cake. Then frost as you normally would. Use an offset spatula. Frosting spreads better at room temp or even try whipping it in a mixer first.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:45 PM on May. 28, 2009

• If you freeze the cake before you ice it , the icing will sweat and smear if it has color in it. You need to cool completley, buy a icing spatula (wilton) . I dip mine in really hot water, wipe off the drips and smear it over the icing. If you are using buttercream, you have to do this before it sets, or crust up. Then once it sets, you can use a VIVA papertowel and smooth it out somemore with your finger and lighlty run it over any blemishes on the cake. (But only if it's buttercream! NOT store bought in a can!)
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:03 PM on May. 29, 2009