What would you do?

Ok, my MIL and I do NOT have the best of relationships but are civil to each other. Well today she came over to babysit my 2 kids so I could get some errands done without them. Well, before I left there was a new message on my answering machine. When I came home the message was erased and she didn't tell me what it was...I mean I knew what it was because I heard it being left, but come on! This isn't HER house! She shouldn't have listened to it! AND She let my DD GLUE magazine clippings to my WALL!!! And when I said "Andi you know we only put things on paper and NOT Mommy's walls" My MIL said and I quote "Well I told her to do it and it was OK as long as we removed it before you came home"
SOOO...she is teaching my 3 year old DD to not only glue things to my walls, she is teaching her that it is OK to do things behind my back as long as she doesn't get caught!
What would you do?

mere417

Asked by mere417 at 1:01 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would speak to my husband about it and have him address her. make sure you express how important it is to you that your kids know who set the rules
    Myni

Answer by Myni at 1:03 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I agree with the above answer. Have your husband adress the issue. If you do, it's only going to make your relationship worse. If she hears it from her son, maybe she will take it more seriously. I would tell her that if she wants to babysit and be involved in her grandchildrens lives then she needs to follow the rules you have set for them. As far as listening to your message, that is just wierd, what else does she do at your house that you don't know about. I would only let her watch them at her own house. maybe?
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 1:07 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I'd be pisssed for sure! Unless you are desperate, I'd tell her since she can't respect my rules then she isnt babysitting anymore.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 1:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

• take my kids on errands and not leave her to babysit!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I would get another babysitter and when she found out and confronted me about it, I would give her the reasons why.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:13 PM on May. 28, 2009

• To be quite honest, I'd thank my lucky stars that I have a MIL that would babysit and personally, I'd overlook these things. My mother and my mother in law have both passed away, I'd kill for someone I trust with my kids...yes, she's an idiot for letting her glue stuff to walls, and I don't understand the phone message thing, but for the big picture? Not such a big deal. And I'm assuming she is babysitting for free? I'd consider myself lucky and move on.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:15 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I have this type of problem but with my mom. I don't let her come to my house and be here without me here. She goes through the cabinets, our drawers, reads our mail and would under mind us to our children. She says she "has the right" to do all of this because she is my mom and my things are her things. We have never been able to make her understand that she is - well - crazy! I've been married 30 years and she still tries to under mind me to my 14 yo. I haven't found a solution. If you do, let me know. I'll try it on my mom.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:50 PM on May. 28, 2009