Meltdown City...

My daughter just turned 4 and it seems that every morning we have major meltdowns. I have tried to get her to bed earlier so she gets enough rest, but that isn't working (she is a major night owl). It also seems that once she starts throwing the fits and crying she can't stop?!? I am so tired of dealing with this every morning...Anyone have the same issues or ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• children of that age have to have a strict schedule. you are the parent and you have to make her aware of it. I use to ignore my son when he threw tantrums and when he stoped i would explain to him that he couldn't have his way and this is what goes. once he saw that i meant what i said and his schedule was regular he stuck to it. he sometimes wven wakes me up now to get ready for work
    Myni

Answer by Myni at 1:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I highly recommedn the Dr. Sears Discipline Book, it will give you great tools in communicating your daughter, and disciplining her the right way.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 4:07 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I went through tantrums too and the thing that worked for me, took about a week or 2 to get it to work, and then it really works was to leave the room. I tried picking the child up and moving him to another room, but he'd come out immediately. I got tired of doing that b/c his room is upstairs and no other room (aside from the bathroom) was nearby (we live in a 3 story townhome). Instead of carrying him up to his room, I'd leave the room and say "I can't come back until you stop crying. Let me know when you're ready for me to come back."
    This makes it seem like HE'S the one in control. And that's what they're wanting when they tantrum. Word it in a way that makes it seem like THEY are making the decision for you to come back. When you say "let me know", it gives them them "power" to tell you when to come back.
    After doing this so many times, they get tired of you leaving them behind.
    REALLY WORKS!!
    mybabies

Answer by mybabies at 8:21 PM on May. 28, 2009