How about some fun for a change?

All this talk about abortion around here is really getting me down. We need something uplifiting and happy to talk about!

What is your favorite movie about religion? ANY religion?

I love "We're No Angels", "Sister Act 1 and 2" and "The Craft" (okay, so "The Craft" isn't really realistic, but it's STILL a good movie!!)

What are your favorites??

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 1:13 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Mists of Avalon. It is fiction, but it does show some part of Goddess worship
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 1:19 PM on May. 28, 2009

• HaHa I loved the Sister Act movies too!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:20 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I love Luther (with Joseph Fiennes) because it is so neat seeing him go against a religious system that has become corrupted and renew true faith in Jesus and love for people. I LOVE that movie.

Also I love the Nativity Story, The End of the Spear, China Cry, The Last Sin Eater.

One of my other favorite "religious" movies is the indian film, The World of Apu. This one is not Christian, but it is based on the Hindu teaching of the Four Ends of Man. It is really beautifully done and I laugh and cry (really hard) and I rejoice at the end. Not many people have seen it. I saw it in one of my classes in college and I found it on ebay. I had to have it!!! I recommend it to everyone, but the subtittles are sometimes hard to read (white letters on a white background); I have it memorized now though, lol : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:21 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I really liked "Henry Poole is here."

I love how it ends with you don't have to believe it was a religious miracle, or a medical healing...the simple conclusion is that "none of it was an accident."

Very sweet and uplifting.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 1:25 PM on May. 28, 2009

• None of these are typically "religious" but...

I loved The Craft, too, also liked Stigmata, What the Bleep Do We Know, & Furn Gully, LOL.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:32 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I loved the Sister Act movies. And the craft (that is the movie I was watching when my water broke with my oldest, lol!). And I LOVE Stigmata. Good movie. Ireccomen it to anyone who has questions about this phenomenon (but keep in mind, it is a bit sensationalized). Also, Van Helsing is good, but it gives a bit of a twist on what happened to what happened to some of the apostles after the crucifixtion.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:39 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Has anyone ever seen Dracula 2000? It implies that the first vampire was actually Judas Iscariot. VERY interesting movie.

And I'd forgotten about Stigmata!! One of Patricia Arquette's finest moments, IMO.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:48 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Sister Act movies, Stigmata, Practical Magic...yea I know its not a religious one but its one of my favorites
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I forgot Practical Magic and Dracula 2000. I liked those as well. Dang, you ladies are making me think! Grrrrrrr. lol
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:55 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Practical Magic

That was on ABC Family this weekend! I'd forgotten it even existed until I saw it on the channel guide, but it was nearly over by then (and I can't imagine what kind of hack job they do to put it on that channel).

Another one not really religious but loosely based on one of the sagas - The 13th Warrior, and not only because of Antonio. Same goes for LotR - which just steals a bunch of stuff but only vaguely uses a real saga. Aside from that, The Omen, and Dogma.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:04 PM on May. 28, 2009