How do I keep my fish bowl clean?

I bought my daughter a beta fish about a week ago and I have had to clean the bowl like 4 times already. Is this normal? I have drops to clear the chlorine after I clean it, I put in 4-5 drops should I be using more? Is there a trick to keeping it clean. I am not against doing it weekley but every other day is a little much.

lilysmom2607

Asked by lilysmom2607 at 1:15 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Pets

• My daughter has one too and the bowl has to be cleaned weekly. We use those same drops too.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:30 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Go to walmart and get one of those little 1.5 gal tanks that comes with a little filter. We have had a beta in there for 3 months and havnt had to clean it yet we just change out the filter once a month.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:43 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My son has a beta, when he first got it..we had it in a regular glass fish bowl and I had to change it like every other day! ANd the SMELL! UGH! I figured it out...I was letting my wonderful little boy feed the fishy...he was putting in WAYYYY too much fish food..therefore creating this horrid fish habitat,lol. I recently got him a "critter cage" (its a plastic cage with a vented lid and handle.) We changed the fishs' home to that and I showed my son EXACTLY how much food to feed the fish..and honestly, I haven't had to change the water in about a month. I have ADDED some water to it once. It's crytal clear and has no smell. We will be changing it soon though..just cause,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:37 PM on May. 28, 2009

• How often are you feeding it?? A bowl/vase/tank shouldn't be cleaned more than once per week. Only feed him 1-2 pellets every other day or even every 3 days. They do not have to be fed daily. I've had fish for over 20 years, so let me know if you have any questions.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:55 PM on May. 28, 2009

• yes, get a small cheap filter. The same thing happened to me with my beta fish. Also, if it is getting cloudy after you clean it, that could just be unsettled algea. If you wait a few days, it might clear up after the algea found a nice spot in your tank to settle. I also bought a HUGE snail (had no idea it would grow so big) she/he eats all the scum off the side & the beta does not mnd the snail because it is bigger. They get along. If you do get a snail DO NOT GET 2. They make millions of baby's & it's hard to tell the sex's apart. I almost never clean my tank now, it stays clean with the lil filter & snail in there. When i do clean it, i use the water for my plants. It is a natural fertilizer for them.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:00 PM on May. 28, 2009

• All the above are great idea. You may want to get one of those live water plants to put in the bowl too. It helps the fish because the fish like to eat off the roots of the plant. It also seems to help with the oxygen levels in the water.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:44 PM on May. 28, 2009