Serious question...

I've never thought about it much until someone else just posted a question about it, but how come some people don't believe in birth control? I mean, I've known people who don't, but it's never occured to me until now to ask why.

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 1:28 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• For some, it is an act of faith, of trusting God totally with your family size - knowing that He will only give you the number of children you are meant to have, and that He will provide for you. Women who are of this mindset (called "quiverfull" from a verse in Psalms) also - ideally -don't do *anything* to TTC or to avoid pregnancy.

Others feel that most birth control is a potential abortificant, so they use Natural Family Planning, Billings, etc or barrier methods to prevent conception, because of strong pro-life feelings.

Still others feel that it isn't good or right to interfere with the way the body naturally works, or believe the potential side-effects are too great, and prefer to use NFP or barrier methods.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:06 PM on May. 28, 2009

• i think some people believe that God has given us the gift of children and that we should never turn away that gift. Just my opinion.
    Lvincent777

Answer by Lvincent777 at 1:31 PM on May. 28, 2009

• When you take a look at the side effects it can cause you among other things. Why take the chance? Condoms break, Antibiotics can cause the pill to fail. NFP is much more effective when used correctly and stringently then any other. With only one side effect.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:40 PM on May. 28, 2009

• "I think some people believe that God has given us the gift of children and that we should never turn away that gift. Just my opinion."

What she said! I was on birth control for about a year before I got married (because I had VERY painful periods and they were unpredictable. I felt like I was being stabbed in the ovaries whenever I cycled). Then when I went off of birth control, I couldn't conceive for a whole year afterwards and even had a chemical pregnancy or miscarriage (not sure which) after a year of trying. I will never go back on birth control again, because I will lovingly and gladly accept any children now! I now have a 5 month old, and she is a HUGE miracle from God! I never want to prevent such a beautiful thing from happening again. These are my convictions, and in no way am I speaking for anyone else.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:46 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I was on BC because my periods were (and still are) painful. I wasn't trying to prevent a pregnancy (I started bc at 15). I was trying to not feel like my ovaries where going to explode every time I cycled. And, for me, the side effects were more tolerable then that pain. Call me a whimp, I don't care. I'm not on it now because I had a tubal after I had my daughter. But boy do I wish they would put me back on it.
    I think alot of people do believe that god should be the one to decide when/if we have kids. And taking BC puts it more in our hands.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:00 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I know that we believe that there are spirits waiting for their turn on earth, and we mothers have the divine abilities to give them that gift of life - It's a pretty awesome and special responsibility.

Though we are allowed to use birth control in my religion, we are told not to limit our family size for "selfish reasons." i.e. we shouldn't choose to pay for a fancy boat over paying for another child.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 2:08 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Some of it depends on the type of BC. There are some kinds that allow the egg to be fertilized, but then not attach to the uterine wall, and for some people that is considered after "conception" - basically it's an abortion. Others believe it is a sin to have sex for any reason but procreation.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:11 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I've taken various kinds of birth control for various reasons.  At first to prevent pregnancy so that I could have sex with my then future husband.  I used birth control during my marriage because my husband and I decided when to have children and how many we wanted.  Then I was on the pill for medical reasons a few years after my husband had a vasectomy.  And now I've had a hysterectomy and I'M FREE!  WOOT!

I see nothing wrong with it and religions that teach it is wrong are irresponsible!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:20 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I've heard of that before too.My girlfriends mom doesn't believe in birth control,she told me it was because she felt like it was the same as abortion. At first, I had laughed at the idea but I suppose it makes sence WHY someone would think that. She would actually CRY every month she would have a period(yes, this is a bit far but..hey to each thier own) I however don't believe in birthcontrol because it makes me fat,LMFAO...but after just having my 2nd baby..that makes me fat too...so I have opted for birth control,lol.
    But seriously...do you know how many babies there would be if not for birth control...maybe some religions really do believe in sex only for procreation and not only as enjoyment.And I am by no means knocking this idea...but everyone is different,thinks different and has thier own opinions.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:23 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Because MEN wrote the bible and MEN considered women their property to bear their children whether they want to or not.
    Anonymous