How do you decide who you talk to?

Seems like some moms have more preference about who they talk to on here. I have been on this site for about 2 months trying to make new friends and haven't even gotten anyone to talk to. I'm kind of shy so I have even made the effort to replying to more posts frequently and what not but still have not made any stable conversations.

How long have you been on cafemom? How long did it take you to make friends? Do you think people judge you by your photo or how do you decide on who is worthy to talk to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I talk to anyone who will talk to me. I havnt been on here long either but there are a few people that i talk to. Some people just arnt here to make friends just to get help with some questions that they might have and help other people with their questions. Or to pass time. You can send me a message if you wana talk. =)
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:48 PM on May. 28, 2009

• i've been on cafemom since about dec. 2007, maybe a few months sooner...i made friends with mama who had similar parenting skills/parenting-skills-to-be... like breastfeeders, mamas with similar music taste, moms in my town... and I dont speak or write to everyone on my list every single day, but there are a few who I share laughs with or always respond to their thought bubble or whatever
    Anonymous

• I'm always up for making friends lol! Some people are, like the post above said, just on here to ask or answer questions. PM me if you want to.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:51 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Ditto Shelia.... but I've been on CM for about a year now. I don't have a click of friends.... I talk to whom ever is here to talk to when I sit down to yack. Heck most of the time I don't even look at profile photos... it's the heart of the person that comes out in their answers and that's usually how I begin to feel like I would like to know the person. Sorry if I haven't talked to you... it wasn't intentional and since you're anonymous... I don't know who you are or who it is I haven't talked to.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:52 PM on May. 28, 2009

• First word of advice.... the word "judged" is WAYYYY overused on this site. If a mom has a brain, a thought, an opinion, then naturally she has a "judgement." Disagreement does not always indicate that someone is "judging" (looking down) on another.

Second bit of advice.... be yourself! be kind! don't be afraid to put yourself out there! There will be those who agree with you and those who disagree with you. Often, these are the same people..LOL. For every friend I have made, there is probably something we disagree on. I'm sure many of my religious friends think I am too much of an earth mama. I'm sure many of my natural friends think I'm too religious. So, I talk "faith" in the faith groups, "natural" in the natural groups, and created one group where I can talk about everything I love.... Attachment Parenting Christians!

Jump right in.. CafeMom has many wonderful moms!!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 2:23 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I talk to anyone really. I have had a bit of a time with getting used to others ideas though. I met a few moms who just are not into the same things I am or have really different views than I do. I am what is considered an "older mom". I am 42. I breastfed, but I also vax my kids and I am glad I do. I don't want to be lectured by some 22 yr old with one kid about what a bad mom I am because I vax, or believe in God or Santa comes to our house, or abortion is not a choice I would make for myself. Different strokes for different folks. I am open minded and I don't think you are Satan for having a different view on things. But I don't push my beliefs down the throats of others. Some moms here have a hard time getting the idea that not everyone thinks the way they do.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:23 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I've been on Cafe mom since April i think..my sister in law told me about it. She was my first friend and then I got another friend to join. But the other friends I do have (not many..lol) are from answering questions, it's a good way to make friends when you have similar outlooks on issues or can provide good advice or just be there for someone.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:29 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Get in a group that interests you. At first you may be the odd one out, but keep at it! So many moms are in and out of groups so they don't know if you're passing by or trying to make friends. My FAVORITE group there were a handful of women who had been in there for awhile and knew each other really well. They were friendly enough, but I didn't know the group history or the "group jokes" and felt a little bit put off. They were interesting to me so I made sure to check in daily and next thing you know we all became good friends, exchange numbers and holiday cards. GREAT group of women. Don't give up too soon!
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 5:09 PM on May. 28, 2009

• You can PM me if you want to check out the group. I don't know what the rules are about advertising groups in "Answers". I'm not the owner or anything - just a super pleased member. :) I think you'd like it.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 5:11 PM on May. 28, 2009