Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it illegal to start your own business (e.g:dog walking/babysitting) without getting it approved by the city?

Answer Question

Asked by babySTAR09 at 1:45 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 4 (30 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I guess if you had the people make checks strictly to you, then it would be okay to do the dog walking. If you have them make the to Kelly's Dog walking, then you would need to get a DBA certificate filed at the court house so the bank will accept checks made out to the business name. But on the child care, i think it depends on the state law. If you are doing something small like 3 or 4 kids, then probably wont be a problem . Again just have them make checks out in just your name. But if you get a certain number of kids, some states have requirements that have to be met. I am in texas, and there are different regulations for the number of kids you can watch. Good Luck though.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • It depends on the city... Here you don't need the okay... The next town over, they are very strict!

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:56 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • each city and state are very different when it comes to people running home based business... to leran about them you visit your states goverment website.. most states are www dot name of state dot us dot gov or simliar... like i live in ohio so my state site is i think.... you can also check your sity chamber of commerce if they have one as well. i always say in any situation it is better to be safe than sorry so if you are to run a home business of any type check out the laws,rule and regualtions first... good luck!!! and let us know what happens!!! ;)

    Answer by pb2009 at 2:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • It depends where you live. You definitely need a federal tax ID number. You may need to register with your state, county, city.
    SCORE can help you write your business plan and help get you get your corporate papers in order. The SBA also has great information and support

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 PM on May. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.