breastfeeding mamas i have a question

when you nurse at home do you cover yourself from your other children and if yes why?

I don't I have teens on down to the baby I am modest about it but i don't make a big deal of it I want them to know it is natural and not something shameful

abellvalerie

Asked by abellvalerie at 1:49 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's your home and you have the right to be comfortable in your own home! I only have one baby so far, so I've never dealt with being modest around other children. GL *bump* =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:52 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't cover myself, but I don't just sit there with everything hanging all out either. My mom breastfed my youngest sister and never really covered herself, and my brother was a teenager. None of us thought anything of it.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 1:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• DH has a 17YO son, and I won't even BF in the same room as him when he is with us, which is not that often anyway...not sure how I'd feel if he was my son.....but I have never covered up in front of my DD4. It is not shameful in the slightest and I'm happy to influence her in that way, I hope she grows up to be a BFing mom herself.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't cover up at home or in other family members' homes because we're all pretty open about it. But between the baby and my shirt, everything is covered up anyway so there's really no point. I see teenage girls at the grocery store showing more skin than I do when we're nursing :)
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:02 PM on May. 28, 2009

• bethany169 I am the same I don't cover up at my moms or any of my sibblings except at my MIL only when my FIL is around because I know if makes him uncomfortable
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 2:06 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I personally would not cover up in my own home unless I had guest like friends or any male presence. But it is about your comfort zone. Does it bother you for your other kids to see you breastfeed? That is your answer.
    dkl_08

Answer by dkl_08 at 2:21 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Whenever I nursed my youngest, my oldest was 2, and he asked me a couple of times what I was doing. I explained that this is the way I used to feed him when he was a baby, and that the baby wasn't old enough to eat food like he did. I told him that Mommy's body makes milk for the baby. He was like, "Okay" and went on about his business. He tried to nurse once too!! LOL!! Whenever David was about 4 months old, he started to cry,and Connor sat down on the floor, put my Boppy around his waist, pulled up his shirt and said "Mommy I feed David"!!! I laughed so hard I thought I'd bust!! I explained to him that only Mommy could feed David that way but that he could help Daddy give David a bottle sometimes. I think it's important for your children to understand that breastfeeding is natural and there's nothing wrong with it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:29 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My son is 11 weeks and my step daughter is 8 years old. I dont cover up around her, I told her that it is natural. I explained this is how babies, just like puppies and kitties eat until they are old enough to eat real food. I only cover up in public. Some of my male family members leave the room when I nurse, but its not like you can see anything anyway.
    megs424420

Answer by megs424420 at 2:57 PM on May. 28, 2009