Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If Im 17 Almost 18 (july 28 2009) and Pregnant Can I move out of my house

with out my parents permission i want to move to Ny state because of the fact that me and my boyfriend live at my house right now and we can get a job because we live in the country there isnt a store for like 3-4 miles and i dont have my licence and my boyfriend has a dwi my baby is due anyday now she has downs and bad heart problems my house is full of smoke and its just better for us to move out to a place we can get a job and walk to work but i am not sure if i can move out 2months before im 18 or not my boyfriend is 21 and we live in Pa i would get emanceapted but my baby will be comeing real soon so it would take to long you see she isnt due untill july 22 but she is going to be early i dont even live with my parent i live with a gardian and my boyfriend

Answer Question

Asked by Mrs.NewMommy303 at 1:56 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • When you turn 18 your parents are not legally responsible for you any more.So at 18 you can.


    Answer by louise2 at 2:00 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • I would talk to them about you wanting to move out. Its so close to you being 18 that they might just be ok with it. But its going to be harder for you to find a place. Where you move to would have to be under your boyfriends name because you cant sign a lease till you are 18 or have legal paperwork of emansipation. Just be sure to look at everything before you decide what to do. I hope your baby will be ok im sorry to hear about the medical problems already existing. Hope all goes well.

    Answer by Shelii at 2:07 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • I would think that even at the age of 17 you can move out on your own especially since you are being grown up about wanting to live close to where you can walk to work. If your guardian is satisfied that you are responsible enough to live away from home, I feel that you should find out through the courts if you are old enough to do so. Lots of luck to you and congratulations on the new baby.

    Answer by BooBear666 at 2:09 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • Try to find a free legal service through the net to call up & ask some questions for free. I am glad to hear that you are being responsible & not wanting your child to be around smoke & wanting to better yourself by getting a job and your own place. I am very sorry to hear of the medicle issues that your child has but be brave. We went through a small medicle issue when my DD was 8 days old & it was scary but do not be affraid to ask questions of the dr's & nurses. If u do not feel comfortable w/ a nurse or dr ask for another one & do not feel guilty for not clicking w/ someone its your job to protect your baby. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask :) hope all turns out well w/ you and your family!

    Answer by Mel30248 at 8:45 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • In most states, you may move out at 16. If you think moving would be best for your baby, then approach the subject with your parents maturely..planned out, financial things written down, so they know you are trying to do what is best, AND you can ask them to smoke outside for youand your baby!!

    Answer by heather312 at 2:21 PM on May. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.