biting (asked in general parenting also)

my 22 month old has started biting again. i thought i had this nipped already but he has just recently started up again. last night he bit my arm so bad that it welted up and he almost broke skin. instinctively i popped his mouth and later felt horrible for it so my question is, how do you keep your child from biting? and when they do bite how do you punish them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My granddaughter went through a stage of biting, I would sit her in time out and explain that biting hurt people and she was not to bite, I thought she got it, but she bit again, this time I put her in time out and explained again, but I also put my teeth on her arm, I didn't bite down, but I showed her what I meant by biting....she finally got it, she hasn't bit again. I think maybe they just don't understand when we say don't bite, they aren't sure what "biting" is....so I showed her! Good Luck!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:22 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I would think that your child is biting out of frustration, therefore, I would try to teach him rather than punish him. Any time he bites or even appears to try to bite, gently set him down and try saying (not yelling), "Ow! That hurt mommy. I'm happy to hold you when I don't have to worry about you biting." This will become what you repeat each time your child wants to be held. If he bites when you are not holding him, then it would be, "Ow! I don't want to be around you when you bite." Then, you might put him in his room or in a "feel better" chair. This might sound mean, but what you are doing is sending the message that biting is not acceptable and Mommy's happy to hold you or be around you when you're sweet! Experiment with it...you have nothing to lose and possibly everything to gain. TeacherPatty
    TeacherPatty

Answer by TeacherPatty at 2:38 PM on May. 28, 2009