Can anyone give me some tips? What am I doing wrong?

My DS will be 1 in June. He does really well with eating stage 2 fruits and veggies and likes them. he will also eat stage 3 fruits. I have been trying to get him on table foods for awhile now and it's not going so well. If I cut pieces of fruit or veggies and place them 1 by 1 in his mouth (because he wont feed himself just plays with it) and stick it on the sides of his cheek where he can chew he does ok. I have tried to venture out to do pasta, and Graduates where you feed more chunkier things with a spoon. he just babbles while he is eating and pockets all the food and then spits it out! or he turns his head and cries because he doesnt want it. Any advice? I want to get him off formula at 1 because I am just tired of mixing it and bottles and such and I want him to have a decent healthy diet before I make the switch. Maybe he is just really picky? Inexperienced? Also posted in Toddler section.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was still eating just baby foods when he was one as well. I asked his doctor about it at the 1-year check-up, and he said that it's normal for that age because the baby food consistency is what they're used to. All you can do is keep offering table foods to him, and eventually he'll start eating them. It took my son until he was about 14 months old to really start getting into table foods, and he wouldn't feed himself until a few months after that. He can have a healthy balanced diet on baby food as long as you give him different kinds, which I'm assuming you do anyway; there's no reason you can't switch from formula to milk before he stops eating baby food.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:10 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Well the best tip I would give is to keep venturing out and trying new thigns with food. Try using a small wal-mart blender for food and colors. My son does great no matter what but when I am not watching him he gets more creative with his food and will teach himself how to react to it. Seasoning the food can help. whne my son does not what to eat soemhting I put a little pepper or lemon on it that helps with peas, green beans, and other. They have yougurt melts at wal-mart that deslove when they hit your mouth and he might try those. If you have any more qustions about it let me know. I hope I have helped. Good luck.
    dkl_08

Answer by dkl_08 at 2:27 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Hi, My little girl isn't the best eater either all I can say is to hang in there, he'll eat when he's ready. Try some foods that he can walk around with and chew on, my girl likes to eat while we take a walk in the stroller. I think it's fine that he's eating the baby foods still. I'm not sure about the formula thing because I nurse but I know they can start on cows milk at around one and that should help you out there.
    lovingmemory

Answer by lovingmemory at 2:30 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Feed him what he will eat to get his nourishment and keep trying. Many babies don't like certain textures. Give it a try and if he doesn't take to it after a couple of times try again in a couple of weeks.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:47 PM on May. 28, 2009