Can anyone give me some tips? What am I doing wrong?

My DS will be 1 in June. He does really well with eating stage 2 fruits and veggies and likes them. he will also eat stage 3 fruits. I have been trying to get him on table foods for awhile now and it's not going so well. If I cut pieces of fruit or veggies and place them 1 by 1 in his mouth (because he wont feed himself just plays with it) and stick it on the sides of his cheek where he can chew he does ok. I have tried to venture out to do pasta, and Graduates where you feed more chunkier things with a spoon. he just babbles while he is eating and pockets all the food and then spits it out! or he turns his head and cries because he doesnt want it. Any advice? I want to get him off formula at 1 because I am just tired of mixing it and bottles and such and I want him to have a decent healthy diet before I make the switch. Maybe he is just really picky? Inexperienced? Also posted in the Baby section.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is not ready for big food yet dont rush it... babies are very in tune with their body & his belly may not be ready for it... Dont worry, this will be over soon enough & you will wish all you had to do was mix his bottles! LOL... cause when they start eating- its every few hours they want some kind of snack!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:15 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Try giving him Cheerios. Let him play with them, it won't hurt him, and the mess is usually fairly minimal... Cheerios dissolve in the mouth so you don't have to worry so much about choking. Once he is a year old, switch him to WHOLE milk, even if he's eating just bread and drinking milk he should be ok. He will eventually get to the point where he's ready for more solids.

At one we gave our son a lot of crackers and breads. He occasionally ate pieces of apple. We would of course give him as much apple sauce or pureed fruits as he wanted, so we knew he was getting a fairly balanced diet, and the chicken and rice or turkey or beef 2nd foods. Now he eats whatever we feed him..he's 20 mos btw.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:20 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Getting him on table foods is a separate issue than getting him off formula. You can do one without the other. My son took a while to get the hang of table foods. We use to joke that the only thing he wouldn't put into his mouth were Cheerios! You might also try the Gerber Puffs. They also melt easily and have different flavors. let him play with the food until he starts to get the idea.
    Anonymous

• My DD didnt start eating solid foods of any sort until she was 13 mo. old! I struggled with her and food for so long but she finally came around to it. It came to the point where I simply cut her formula intake by half (a hypo allergenic formula due to issues with milk) and said eat or dont I dont care. It took a week or so but she finally began eating more solid foods. Once there I cut out another bottle of hers only giving her two at this point (one for bed and one in the wee hours of the morning like 4am). My situation was different then yours because we still had to be on formula up until she was 16 mo. old but the point to this is that she did come around and all worked out but until she came around I spent a lot of time upset about the fact that she wouldnt eat solids and I probably shouldnt have.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:03 PM on May. 28, 2009