What kind of questions should I ask when meeting with a director of a daycare?

My daughter is 2 years old. I have no choice but to put her in daycare. My husband and I are going to meet with the center and I have no idea what to ask. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

dolphingurl1286

Asked by dolphingurl1286 at 2:13 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ask if every one has had a back ground check to make sure there are no child molesters or abusers working there, what do they do as far as discipline, what kind of food menus do they have, do they assist with potty training (most do), what they do as far as teaching, nap times (when and how), what is the policy as far as who is picking children up from day care and with visiting the kids,
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 2:16 PM on May. 28, 2009

• What is their teacher to child ratio?

How do they handle discipline?

How do they handle accidents and owies?

Also, check with your local DCFS, CPS, or DHS (whatever it's called there) to see if they've had any reports of abuse within the center.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:16 PM on May. 28, 2009

• You can also ask their medication policy in addition to the ideas mentioned above.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:22 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Also, look around at your child's classmates. Do they seem happy? My son LOVES daycare! I dreaded taking him, but you know what.....he LOVES it and misses his teachers and friends when we don't go. He loves the different toys, arts and crafts, etc. If the other kids seem happy, your child will also be happy. It has been one of the best decisions that i have made. I still would like to only work part time or not at all, but if I get to that place where I can, he will still go to daycare part time so he can see his friends and play and learn...
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:24 PM on May. 28, 2009

• You can also ask about their hygene habits, if your daughter isn't potty trained yet, then ask them how they will support it. Also ask for their outdoor play time, do they let the kids go out when its too cold or too hot and do they apply sunscreen (supplied by you). Do they get their own cots for sleeping?
    Also its a good idea to take the tour during typical pick up time (5-6pm) so you can meet some parents outside and ask about their experience in addition to talking to the director.
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 3:23 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Thank you ladies. I appreciate it. My husband and I went and met with one daycare center. And we didnt like it. The classrooms all had this funky smell. The asst. director had one of the teachers open the bathroom door so we could see it. But there was a little girl using the toilet at the time. That made my husband extremely uncomfortable. We decided we dont think it will work for us. His bestfriends wife is going to do it. As well as my mom and stepdad will help when they can. Thank you again.
    dolphingurl1286

Answer by dolphingurl1286 at 3:56 PM on May. 28, 2009

• 1. What is your school's philosophy?
    2. What is the teacher turn-over rate?
    3. What is a typical day like in the 2-year old classes?
    4. How do you feel about unannouced visits by parents?
    5. Are you NAEYC-accredited (they insists upon HIGH standards in order for them accredite a preschool/daycare)
    6. Am I required to pack lunch/snacks/milk, or will the school provide that?
    7. What is your policy when a child is sick for several days, or is on vacation? Do you offer pro-rated tuition, or will I still be responsible for the entire tuition, regardless of absences?
    8. Am I required to provide diapers.wipes and rash cream, or is that provided?
    9. How many times are diapers changed throughout the day?
    10. Have you had any complaints about your school? (If yes) can you tell me what those complaints were, and how you remedied the situation?
    11. What is the child-teacher ratio?

(I'm a former preschool teacher)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:47 PM on May. 28, 2009