Can I freeze cake batter?

OK so my DD and I made "special cupcakes" with flower silicone molds. Well I only bought 12 molds and have 1/2 the batter left over...too much to throw away and I don't have any cupcake wrappers. So can I freeze already mixed cake batter? I would love to be able to freeze it for another project for another day. Anyone ever froze cake batter? Does it taste OK when thawed? Or can I not freeze it?

mere417

Asked by mere417 at 2:14 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, with the silicon molds, you shouldn't have to use cup cake wrappers, that stuff is not supposed to stick to the silicon. you may have to spray it good but it shouldn't stick. if you freeze it, it will end up with moisture in it no matter how you store. when you bake it, it will not rise. I suggest baking it first then freezing it.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 2:18 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Just use a smaller pan and make a mini cake =)
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:25 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I didn't use cupcake wrappers in the molds, what I meant was I didn't have any wrappers to make the leftovers in reg. cupcake pan. But thanks about the moisture if frozen! I didn't even think about that! Maybe I will just take out the cupcakes from the pretty molds and then make the rest in the molds. So half will be pretty in molds and the other will not be! It is just for my kids, DH and I so we don't need pretty! lol...I was just thinking about being "thrifty" oh well!
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 2:26 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I dont see any reason you couldn't freeze it.....you can buy frozen brownies and cookies that you bake and they taste fine....I would just put it in a good freezer container and use it as quickly as you can......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:50 PM on May. 28, 2009