Booster Seat or Convertible Car Seat?

My daughter is 3 will be 4 in the Fall. About 30-32 lbs..not sure on her height but she is pretty tall. Currently in a convertible car seat..when is the best time to use a booster seat? What are your kids in at this age?

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 2:18 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we still have both my 4 year old son and my almost 4 year old step son in convertible car seats. It's not 100% about their weight, thats part of it, but they need to be tall enough. They have the height and weight specifications on the packages. Its important that you not rush them to the next seat because the chair has to save their lives, if they're too short or too light, the chair can't save them.
    blu_ied_gurl

Answer by blu_ied_gurl at 2:50 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Safety experts recommend that children remain in a 5pt. harness seat until they are at least 4yrs. old and at least 40lbs. Many of them also recommend that since a 5pt. harness is much safer that it is best to leave them in onr until they are about age 5-6, and mature enough to properly sit in a booster 100% of the time.

You mentioned your daughter is tall, so you will want to check and see if she has outgrown her current seat by height. The straps should come from at or above her shoulders, if they are below she'll need a new seat ASAP. Some seats that will work for a taller older child include the >Sunshine Kids Radian, Safety 1st Apex, and the>Graco Nautilus.
    My preschooler rides in the Apex65. It does require a headrest or high seatback behind it for reinforcment though and its very wide, so it won't work in all vehicles.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:19 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I recommend you get her the Graco Nautilus. It keeps your child in a 5 pt. harness until 65 pounds, then converts to both a high back booster, and a low back booster. It retails around $150 and will be the last seat you need.

A 3 year old is WAY too young for a booster. Keep your precious baby in a harness as long as possible, the Graco Nautilus will allow you to do that AND not have to buy a booster later on.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 4:02 PM on May. 28, 2009

• 4 years and 40 pounds is the bare minimum. it is safer to keep them in a 5 point as long as possible. my 4 year old's seat harnesses to 65 pounds, and she will be harnessed to 65 pounds. she's 35 1/2 now, so it will be awhile.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 5:44 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Thanks ladies!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:49 PM on May. 28, 2009

• We have the Graco Nautilus too and we love it. My 3 yo is about 37 pounds and has plenty of room to grow in the seat. He's tall too, but I think we easily have 2-3 years left in the 5 pt harness.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 2:53 AM on May. 29, 2009