When is it time to say good bye to naps?

My DD is 3.5 and has always been a good sleeper. When I put her down for her nap and bedtime, she calls me back in her room several times and it takes her longer to go to sleep. But when she does and it is rare that she doesn't, she sleeps for 2 hours! If she doesn't get her nap, she is ill. I get tired of having to go in her room and get her settles back in! Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'd say she's not quite ready to give it up, but it sounds like it will be soon. DD stopped napping right before she turned 4. The naps turned into giant battles, yes she would finally go down, but it would take a couple hours for that to happen, then she would sleep all afternoon and stay up way too late. Then I used "quiet time" for a while, she had to stay in her room doing a quiet activity for about 45 mins, now we don't even do that anymore. She goes to bed a bit earlier and its been fine. Once in a blue moon she will still take a short nap if we're in the car or something
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:36 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Each child gives up naps at their own time. For your own sake I'd just do "quiet time" and if she falls asleep great if not then move the night bed time up.
    Some kids just always have a hard time falling asleep at the beg. My son is like that and he still will need the occ. lights out on a super busy day at almost 5.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:48 PM on May. 28, 2009