how can i take the pacifier away?

My baby is 1yr. 8months...she never liked the pacifiers.(chewies/chupon in spanish)..when she was 1 i took her bottle away cold turkey...she would wake up at night wanting her bottle...so i would sit with her and give her milk in a cup...
one night, my mom ended up watching my kids...she figured it was easier to give the baby a pacifier, then sit with her every time she woke up...but now, she wont leave the pacifier, and good luck trying to get her to sleep with out her "pop"...i took her to her first dentist check up and i was told it was ok for her to have a pacifier, but to take it away before the age of 2 or 3...but not too soon cause then she would start suckin her thumb...i feel like i has been harder to take the pacifier away than the bottle...Q:how can i go about taking the pacifier away?

jklmn

Asked by jklmn at 2:19 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Pretend to "lose it" somewhere. We left ours at the inlaws, and ds had to go without it for a few days. He lived and now goes without the paci, but the bottle he still gets at bedtime. It is the only time he gets it, and I'm working up to taking it away again..we went without the bottle a few nights but then had a sitter give it to him, and now he won't even go to bed without it. She will eventually get tired enough to sleep without it. You may have to deal with some crying, but she will get over it. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:24 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I'd give her a bit more time before trying to get rid of it. You can talk with her about giving it to babies who need it or trading it in for a stuffed animal, etc. Don't replace them as they wear out and they'll sort of naturally go away.. You may find as she gets older, she simply doesn't need it and will give it up more willingly. A friend of mine just did it with her 3 yr old and he didn't seem to care!
    Anonymous

• my daughter accidentally dropped my sons in his poopy diaper, so i threw it away and never gave him another one. after a few days he didnt even care about it anymore.
    Lvincent777

Answer by Lvincent777 at 2:56 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Oh I feel your pain, my little one LOVES his BB (pacifier) and I am so scared to take it away. I'm afraid to go back to those sleepless nights.(= torture for me!) I bought the little book "Pacifiers are not forever"...we read this book at least 1x per day. He knows on 3rd birthday we are going to the local hospital to give BB to the babies who need them. He tells me that HE still needs BB and that HE LOVES BB. (he is very verbal) but I reinforce that the babies need them and when he is 3 he wont be a baby. Maybe you could tell your daughter when she is 2 she wont be a baby? Another friend had her 2 year old throw it out the window- when 2 year old asked for it- She said "You threw it out, remember?" You can put them inside build a bear... also, another freind said her little one cried and screamed for 7 days then it was over...10 days to create a habit, 7 to break one. Best of Luck! Keep me posted!
    SamMom912

Answer by SamMom912 at 3:02 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Oh, I forgot to tell you... we met with a speech pathologist cause my son, who is speaking at a 5 year old level mispronounces words and has some weird tongue thrusts - I thought because he was born tongue tied (had surgery at 3 mos) but she said his speech problems are from the pacifier. It keeps the muscles forward in the mouth, after stopping, it takes about 6-8 months for the muscles to relax and his speech might improve on its own. So, I think it is a good idea for you to get rid sooner rather then later (like me!) But my son also has SPD, which makes transitioning away from BB a little more complicated.
    SamMom912

Answer by SamMom912 at 3:05 PM on May. 28, 2009

• You could take it cold turkey and deal with her screaming for a few days (I've heard it gets better after a few days, but I was never brave enough to try). Or you could coax her to give it up in some way; I've heard of moms having their kids "plant" the paci so it's buried, or "donate" it with Goodwill stuff (and you throw it away, of course), or telling them it's for babies and the kid decides they're not a baby. Or you could do it gradually, like have certain times of the day or instances where she doesn't get a paci and times when she does; for instance, swipe it in the afternoon after her nap when she's playing and might not notice that she doesn't have it, then do it in the mornings too, until she only has it at night, and then you'll probably have to deal with the screaming for a few nights at some point. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:20 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I took my oldest boy's away at 13 months. He never went for his thumb.

I took my second son's away at 10 months. He never went for his thumb.

I took my third son's away at 4 months. He never went for his thumb.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:22 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I decreased the amount of time my daughter could have her binki down to naps and bedtime and she gave it up all by herself. She was 4 months old.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:25 PM on May. 28, 2009