Should publics schools discuss relationships, straight or gay?

I was reading another post and thought hum.. My sons school does not dicuss these things, nor do I think they should. A school is to learn Math,English and not dicuss relationships.

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 2:35 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• nope!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 2:37 PM on May. 28, 2009

• No but some "real life" things should be taught. Like simple banking. Working a checkbook, etc. Relationships involve morals/values and I think families should teach that.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:38 PM on May. 28, 2009

• no, that should be taught by parents.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 2:39 PM on May. 28, 2009

• EireLass, yes schools do teach simple banking,at least here. My son took a Business Class in 8th grade that taught these lessons. :)
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:42 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I certainly will take offense on anybody teaching my child about these topics. School is to receive an education, math, science, English, etc. Relationships of any kind is part of parent's responsibility to teach children. Some topics like balancing a book, basic finances is part of life skills but I draw a line in relationships of any kind that is not part of the schools curriculum or at least in my opinion, it shouldn't be.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:50 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Nope. Things like that are to be, or SHOULD be, taught at home.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 2:51 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't think schools should but I'm also against sex ed in schools because they mostly just preach about abstinence (sp?) And I think kids, teenagers should learn about the safe practice of sex. Not that I condone teenage sex but if they are going to I'd rather them know the safe way to do it.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 3:07 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Not getting into personal discussions but I agree with jazzysmommy about teaching teenagers about the safe practices of sex.  (parents and education from the schools need to involved)Abstience is the best, but still things happen and they need to be aware of what can be done in case.....

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:20 PM on May. 28, 2009

• No!!!!!!!!!!! I am a teacher and I wouldn't touch that subject with a "ten foot pole". That crosses a line that is an "at home" subject. I don't discuss religion unless it is in a historical context and I don't discuss that part of our society. Even when kids ask me what "I" think, I plead the 5th on the grounds my answer my get me in a deep, deep hole.

surrender

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:32 PM on May. 28, 2009

• They were discussing it at my kids' school when we had the big "gay marriage" Proposition 8 vote here in California. While I personally am not against gay marriage (I won't get into why right now), I don't want them teaching my kids about it. We had a bunch of elementary school kids running around with Prop 8 stickers in support of gay marriage. While I think it's important that kids be taught tolerance for many different walks of life, I'd like to be the one discussing it with them - not having it shoved down their throats. If they insist on teaching about gay marriage, they should at least also teach about marriage in it's "traditional" form, and while they're at, preach a little bit about being a respectful, worthy partner no matter WHAT relationship you're in.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 4:52 PM on May. 28, 2009