My son is potty trained except for POOP...

For the most part, my son will go to the potty and he'll go pee, he's been doing well at this for quite some time now, he's 2 and will be 3 in august, but he has a problem of going poop in the potty. Hardly ever will he poop in the potty and when he does it's only for dad during the day (dad works 2nd shift, again he doesn't do this but maybe once a week), i was wondering if any of you have had this problem and how did you get your child to poop in the potty?

princessj05

Asked by princessj05 at 2:40 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No punishment when it comes to the potty. I've read/heard this alot. Once, I got upset with my daughter for pooping on our carpet. She 'protested' and pooped in her diaper for, like, a week straight after that. I felt horrible! Potty training is all about encouragement and patience. You might be tempted to punish your son for not doing it properly, but that may mean it'll take even longer for him to get the hang of it.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 6:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• My brother had this problem with his son. I had it with my daughter as well, but it didn't take her as long to learn as with my nephew. I hear time and time again that boys are just harder to potty train. Just try to be patient and understanding. When he DOES poop, do you congratulate him or reward him? Try to make a really big deal out of it. Clap, give high fives, hand out stickers - whatever. If he thinks that pooping in the potty makes you happy, he may be willing to do it more. Good luck!
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 2:43 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My daughter will be 3 in July and has been pee trained for over 9 months. But poop? Forget it. She is getting better though and will frequently use the potty but she will also still sometimes wait until she has a pullup for bedtime. Time and patience have helped. So has bribery. I bought a huge cake at CostCo, cut it up into small slices, and froze it. She gets a piece if she poops in the potty. It must be a full poop, not just a tiny bit, otherwise she had a habit of holding onto the poop with all her might until a tiny piece escaped - then happily claiming she'd pooped in the potty and wanted her cake. When that would happen, I'd praise her effort and give her a sticker for trying but no cake.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:57 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Yes, we reward him with m&ms and/or thomas the train stickers which he loves. I have been told boys are harder to potty train and especially with poop. It just seems like he doesn't even try and he just doesn't like taking the time out of the day to go to the potty even when he knows he gets rewarded. He doesn't like to be dirty at all... i suppose the answer is time. Do any of you punish (like a time out) when they wet themselves or do you feel that them have wetting theirselves is their punishment and to just sort of go with the flow?
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 4:44 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Thank all of you for your responses. It's very frustrating right now. I think it's mostly because I'm so busy anymore. Going to school, my SO working 40-60 hours (second shift), trying to keep the house clean, a 13month old, and potty training my oldest... just isn't the easiest thing. I love being a mother, but it's so nice to have a site on here with women going through the same things or having gone through it! again thank you so much! I'm hanging in there! lol
    princessj05

Answer by princessj05 at 6:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2009