Left or right?

Silly question, but can you tell if your baby is a lefty or righty?
My daughter(3 months) is always grabbing with her left hand.
Will she need special scissors!? Haha.

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 2:42 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think you can really tell until they're older...when they start taking an interest in drawing and coloring.

My 6 year old is a lefty like his daddy and my other 2 are righty's.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:43 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My oldest son sucked his left thumb from the beginning and he is lefty. My second one sucked the right one, he is a righty and the third one sucks his left pinky (he just turned 3), so who knows what's gonna happen with him!!! I want to say that yes, it can mean something.

and btw, scissors are good for both sides now... at least kids' safety ones.
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 2:44 PM on May. 28, 2009

• If you notice your baby still using 1 hand over the other by a yr old there is a good chance they will use that hand but many infants use both hands so much it is hard to tell till they are a bit older.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:45 PM on May. 28, 2009

• As infants and young toddlers you want them to use both hands equally. Later, closer to 4 or 5 they'll decide which hand they'll be dominant.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:17 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't think you will be able to tell for sure until they are older...
    but my son has always show a slight preference for his left side and now that he is getting older and doing more things... he only feeds himself with his left and tends to play with his left... so we'll see!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:43 PM on May. 28, 2009