what to do with a picky eater?

my son is 2 years ild and the only thing he eats is chix fingers and cuke slices. no breakfast, he barely drinks his milk, I don't even give him water until he's done with it and he hates flavored milk or even fruit shakes. and if I want him to eat something else, he only goes for pasta alfredo, or fish and chips but I have to starve him, like no snaks ar juice ever, not even a grape . He wasn't like that, he used to eat so good, brocc was his favorite, and he would also eat what we eat whether it was home cooking or eating out, but now he's so deficult with food, I 'm just wondering is it gonna get better or I'm I gonna microwave chix fingers for the rest of my life for this kid??????

Shaima78

Asked by Shaima78 at 2:51 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• TYpical todder behavior. Keep trying other foods with every meal. Even if you can get him to eat a bite, it's progress! Add a dip with veggies. Don't stick to basic foods in what you try. You may find he likes odd things. My 2 yr old will eat polenta but not chicken! I'd avoid doing too much catering to him. That just adds to the problem. I'd also skip juices and try fruits. It's too easy for him to fill his small tummy with juice. Go with whole grains wherever you can to add to nutritional value. Toddlers won't starve so hang in there!

My pediatrician's advice to us was to feed him what we eat unless it's something he really shouldn't have (we've held off on shellfish) or has a high "yuck" factor (i.e. liver..). If he really won't eat, we give him a few Cheerios and move on
    Anonymous

• My much older son was a picky eater and he also liked broccoli and then one day didn't like anything. To this day he is an extreme picky eater and now that I have twins I can see that I did it all wrong! My son of the twins is the picky one. All he wants is juice and starches. What I do that is working is let him try everything when he is hungry, it doesnt seem to work at any other time. If I am cutting up food I give him a taste. Also he will fill up on juice so I have to give it to him after he has eaten most of his dinner or else that is all he wants and refuses to eat. Also there are some days he will eat and like brussel sprouts but other days doesnt so I am persistent but I do not make him eat it. With my older son I would introduce new foods and when he didn't like them I would give up too soon. I know you said he doesnt like flavored milk, have you tried both choc, and strawberry? Or how about thin milkshake?
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 3:16 PM on May. 28, 2009

• He won't starve. Kids only need half their body weight in ounces for liquids, and their tummy is only as big as their fist. They will eat when hungry. The other two ladies have awesome suggestions also.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 3:49 PM on May. 28, 2009