Couple told to stop home bible study or pay thousands for a permit! I guess there is no longer the right to assemble in one's own home.

Pastor David Jones and his wife Mary have been told that they cannot invite friends to their San Diego, Calif. home for a bible study — unless they are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars to San Diego County.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,522637,00.html

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 2:51 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That is weird. I wonder how many a "few friends" is though..if it's like 25 then I could see why it's seen as an assembly. The link to read the full story wouldn't clicky for me.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 2:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I was about to come in here and say that's ridiculous...but then I saw the story hails from California...so know I understand....the state needs the money at whatever the cost! ::sigh::
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,522637,00.html

Sorry, I think I fixed the link!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:55 PM on May. 28, 2009

• If you have trouble with the link the story is currently on the Fox News home page.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:56 PM on May. 28, 2009

• If its MY HOME, I guess I can invite whoever, whenever and for whatever reason I desire. What happened to freedom?

Do they rent, or own their home, is it an apartment or a house with a bit of land....

UGGG, thats sickening....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:56 PM on May. 28, 2009

• And for anyone interested in the WHOLE story about the 15 people he keeps having over:

"Jones said a visitor to a neighbor's house called the County after a Bible study member hit the visitor’s car while leaving. Shortly after, a county code enforcement officer gave him a citation that said he needed a permit to host the weekly Bible study meetings, he said."

"A County spokeswoman says the County is concerned with parking and its impact on the neighborhood."

http://www.10news.com/news/19585458/detail.html

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:59 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I guess when we have "thank you" or "going away" get togethers for people in my hubby's military unit we are "assembling"! I would hate to think we need a permit to have a party or a bbq at our own house! We routinely have 30-50 people at these events! What a crock of crap!

I can't decide if it is a money grab or religious persecution.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:59 PM on May. 28, 2009

• "Jones said a visitor to a neighbor's house called the County after a Bible study member hit the visitor’s car while leaving. Shortly after, a county code enforcement officer gave him a citation that said he needed a permit to host the weekly Bible study meetings, he said."

Still a crock of crap! People have been gathering in neighborhoods for eons! Besides, there are tons of neighborhoods where there are cars parked all along the street to begin with. It sounds to me like there is a bitter neighbor. Accidents happen for crying out loud, you/they have car insurance you get the car fixed and get on with your life.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:03 PM on May. 28, 2009

• One or the other or both yourspecial
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:03 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I can't decide if it is a money grab or religious persecution

sorry that ^^ is what I was responding to
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:04 PM on May. 28, 2009