How do I ?

How do I get so angry at myself for things I know I can't control? Why is it that every time I look at my son I fel like I am failing him some how. Like I am not doing my best but I know deep inside me that I can't control everything. I sometimes ignore my son becasue when I look at him I don't know what to do. Why? Is this normal?

dkl_08

Asked by dkl_08 at 2:52 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• This must be your first child.I felt that way too.And worried that I would be scarring them for life if I did this or didn't do that.But my grown kids are not in jail, and not doing drugs, and are doing okay as adults.So I am way more relaxed with my youngest.I think how you are feeling is just normal and everyone does it on their first child.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:10 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My DD is 17 mo. old and I def. went through this too. For a while I thought that if I didnt do this or did something that I may be scarring her for life too! This would make me upset because the pressure of being the "perfect" parent is too much and really the "perfect" parent is doing all that you can do. I dont always feel like reading her books and sometimes I need to put a cartoon on so I can get dinner made. Its okay though shes developing just fine and I eventually just stopped worrying about those things. Oh and there are several days where I simply have no clue what i am doing as a parent! Just have to figure it all out as you go making mistakes along the way.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:38 PM on May. 28, 2009