trying to figure out a 3 wk old baby ...

In the hospital they gave her enfamil w/ iron- milk based, But now my husband has decided to switch to soy based formula because his brother was allergic to milk based formula ... Not sure what to do. I am still having trouble breastfeeding, but still trying to pump a few times a day.

sweetpea118

Asked by sweetpea118 at 2:58 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unless she's showing signs that she's having a problem with the regular Enfamil, I wouldn't switch her to soy. If an allergy runs in the family, I would definitely keep an eye on her reactions, but it doesn't mean that she's going to have the same problem. My sister-in-law is very allergic to peaches, for instance, but my son had no problems with them whatsoever. Why spend the extra money for soy if you don't have to? And are you trying to breastfeed exclusively, or plan to supplement with formula no matter what? And what's the issue with breastfeeding? Does she have problems latching, keeping it down, not gaining enough weight...? If it's a matter of getting her on the breast, try one of the Medela nipple shields; I used one with my daughter, and it was a life saver, now she's 6 weeks and nursing like a pro.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:06 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I would ask your doctor before switching to soy. It couldnt hurt, but there is no sense in switching for no reason... Try to stick with breast feeding. I had a hard time too at first and was supplementing with formula, but the doctors told me that I probably didnt need to do that. At 3 weeks s/he still doesnt require much. Its good that your at least pumping to keep up your milk supply. My nurse also had told me to take Fenugreek (an herbal supplement) to boost my milk supply. You can get it at any vitamin store. Good Luck with the breast feeding!!
    megs424420

Answer by megs424420 at 3:06 PM on May. 28, 2009

• if you WANT to breastfeed, pleeeeease stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group! We'd be happy to help you. Also contact LLL for help. If allergies run in your family it is SO important to nurse!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:24 PM on May. 28, 2009

• if you want to bf then stop giving bottles all together.
    find a support group in your area, like la leche league and get help.
    Anonymous

• I was told that switching babies formula after they've become accustomed to one can be troublesome. Unless your itty bitty is showing signs of having problems with Enfamil, I wouldn't suggest going with your husband's idea. If your husband disagrees with you and wants to still switch, bring it up with the doctor at your child's next appointment. He/She will inform you if there is a great need to switch or not, and if it is neccisary. Personally, I am under the impression that if the child isn't showing any signs of having troubles, then there isn't any reason to switch.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:07 PM on May. 28, 2009