How can I prevent ear infections?

My 9 month old has an ear infection.
What could have caused it?
How can I prevent it from getting worse or happening again?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 3:07 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Make sure s/he never gets a cold again.

Some kids are just prone to them. When they get colds, the fluid gets in behind the ear drum and sits there. It can't always drain properly because of the way their E..... tubes in the ears are (I can't remember how to spell it, but know they begin with an e! sorry! lol) It sits there and bacteria grows, creating an infection.

My second son used to get one with every single cold he ever got! But they always cleared up after the cold was over. My oldest has had one in his entire life that we know of, and my youngest has had 3, I think.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:55 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Well breastfeeding is the best thing you can do to prevent ear infections, but that may or may not apply to you at this point. Also be sure that no one smokes around your baby at all. Other things that can help to prevent ear infections: make sure that your baby doesn't lay flat with his or her bottle (like in the crib or on the floor), try to avoid having him or her fall alseep w/ a bottle, and don't let him or her suck on an empty bottle - offer a paci instead if you use one.

To help w/ the current infection, give Tylenol or Motrin for pain as needed. Give the full course of antibiotics if recommended by the Dr. (Some ear infections will clear up on their own without antibiotics, but if you are given them and begin using them be sure and finish the full course.) If he's wanting to eat normally be sure and feed him really healthy foods. You can also give him a baby Probiotic.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:27 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Try to keep water out of her ears and dont have her lay flat when she is drinking her bottle.
    mammaboyz113

Answer by mammaboyz113 at 7:30 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I don't really think you can prevent them. You can try keeping the child from people that smoke (2nd hand smoke causes ear infections). Make sure people wash their hands before holding or touching your child. Some kids are just prone to ear infections and get them no matter what is done while some kids never get an ear infection.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:22 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Hopefully, you have not yet introduced dairy - don't.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:45 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Do not let them drink while laying flat. The drainage tubes in a childs ears are supposed to be on an angle. Some kids have tubes that are more horizontal and fluid has a hard time draining. Such is the case when they get a cold and have drainage from their sinus cavities. Some kids have a hard time draing that drainage properly. My DH was one of them and had constant reoccuring infections. They put bi-lateral tubes in her ears, removed her tonsils and adinoids and she was like a different kid. Slept better, ate more etc. You can't really prevent them. Keep her away from people who smoke too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:11 AM on May. 29, 2009

• ""Make sure s/he never gets a cold again. ""

Haha. that just sounds funny, but she's right (the entire post, not just that one line!) The other posts have good tips too. my daguhter gets them all the time and ended up getting tubes. After just a week wtih them in, she's already talking a lot more! Anynow, I'm guessing this is just one ear infection which is a great sign for such a young child! If they were cronic allergies can cause ear infections by cuasing inflimation around the tubes and blocking them.
    Anonymous

• I read the book DON'T Drink Your Milk before my fourth child was born. I never gave him cow's milk to drink. We use Rice Dream. He never had an ear infection until he was 8 years old. Never on an antibiotic until then. My first three children had an ear infection nearly every time they got a cold. The difference was the milk I had given the first three. message me if you have questions.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 11:50 PM on May. 29, 2009