Christian question

My fiancee and I are trying to be more involed in our religion and church (we are christian), what programs, books, or web sites would you reccomend that we use?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 3:18 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:35 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Probably the best Bible study I've ever gone through is called "Experiencing God",by Henry Blackaby. It is excellent! I went through it right after I was saved. It teaches you to be closer to God,and be more active in Church,while focusing on your one on one relationship with God and each other. It's great for men,women,or,as my DH and I did, as a couple. Best wishes,and God bless you both for wanting to get more active.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:25 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I have done Experiencing God before, it was very good!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:25 PM on May. 28, 2009

• What I recommend is to sit down together and decide what your core beliefs are. While believing that Jesus died for you is the one and only qualification for salvation, most Christians find themselves wanting MORE and to dive into scripture which, depending on your interpretation vs. his (as well as what you were taught when you were raised) can bring up some differences of opinion. Some couples differ on the mode and age of Baptism. Some couples differ on tithing, how much and what is considered a tithe. Some couples differ on how they feel the Bible would have them raising their families as well as what guidelines they feel the Bible gives for the family. Getting God, the Bible and your faith more involved in your relationship is bound to bring up some differences of opinion that you need to work out. What denomination are you and dh? If different, can you find a denomination that brings you common ground?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:26 PM on May. 28, 2009

• mom2twobabes,it really is good,huh? I still carry the 7 realities of a relationship with Christ in my Bible.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:28 PM on May. 28, 2009

• (cont.) for me and DH, I am PCA (Presbyterian in America) and he is Lutheran. Our common ground was to start attending the PCUSA (Presbyterian Church of America-yes, it's different lol). It had the basics of a service that he had grown up with and was comfortable with and a doctrine that I agreed with.

I recommend getting a couples study Bible as well as a modern paralell Bible (modern paralell Bibles offer several different translations of the Bible within one Bible).

Test out some churches. Find one that suits you. Inquire about a new members class. We've found that church is a source of great volunteer opportunities for both of us as well as an outlet to meet other couples with small children and it's strengthened our relationship.

I also recommend checking out www.Christianbook.com. They have great devotionals (I am currently doing "Praying in the Names of Jesus" and "Praying in the Names of God" (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:30 PM on May. 28, 2009

• (cont.) and my husband is doing "Downtime for Dads." Together we do "When Families Pray Together." They have really great book deals and some of their devotionals are only $2-$3.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:31 PM on May. 28, 2009

• It's encouraging to see your committment to obey God and at the same time be fully alive. Les and Leslie Parriot (III) wrote some powerful stuff for couples and it is very applicable to every day life. Also, you might see if John Eldrige has a current study of interst, but I agree Experiencing God and some of the writings by him and his son have been of great encouragment to me.
    Alexis124

Answer by Alexis124 at 3:32 PM on May. 28, 2009

• You might also want to check out what Family Life Today has,and Focus on the Family. Both have really great websites,with lots of their literature,and books for sale. I might also suggest you look into the Crown Financial Ministry. They also have a website. We went through their course at church a few years back,and they have a very good, Biblical approach to managing finances.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:34 PM on May. 28, 2009

• You should definitely check out the "Glory" series by Ruth Heflin. She is an awesome woman of God, and those books will move anybody in the Spirit! And also "His Needs, Her Needs" is a great book for a Christian marriage.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:50 PM on May. 28, 2009