Does anyone else have a toddler who wakes up in the middle of the night for milk?

My lil Hannah has been waking up for the past month or so for milk. I try to give her water and she screams for milk. Me being tired I give in and give it to her. Any suggestions on what to do to stop this. I can tell she has gained a lil weight from this late night cup of milk.

amanda62382

Asked by amanda62382 at 3:42 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes. We wake her up to use the restroom, and then she usually wants a little snack (she doesn't always eat dinner) or a refreshment. I've been known to take her for a walk if she is all wound up or had a nightmare.
    Is your daughter getting enough milk during the day? Sometimes you just have to tell them gently but firmly no milk, water. Then if they throw a fit, walk out the door and go back to bed.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 3:46 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Mine did that for a while and I just gave him water and that was it. It was hard to hear him cry, but I had to. Milk and juice is bad for their teeth at bed time. My little sisters rotted out cause my step mom did that and was not to my the DR. Be strong and try it for a week before long she wont even want it anymore
    mommytoG

Answer by mommytoG at 4:16 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I think my youngest did a couple of times. I just told him that he would have to wait until breakfast and to go back to sleep. I didn't want to start a habit I might have to break when we start potty training.

Now, that doesn't count for when they have nasty colds and need a little water at night to moisten their throats, though.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:22 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I have not had this problem but I would reccomend offering just water and help her cope with it. After you brush her teeth at night she really shouldnt have anything but water till breakfast.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:09 PM on May. 28, 2009