Help with feeding my newborn!

I finally gave birth to Erik Thomas Lyons on Memorial Day at 3:05 AM. He's 8.14 Lbs and 21 Inches. I just fed him about thirty minutes ago. He fed for maybe ten minutes, but my breasts are getting the milk in so it kind of leaks out of his mouth while he's feeding. Does that mean that he does not have a proper latch or that my flow is just too fast for him? What can I do to help him out?

Also, he's sucking on a pacifier at the moment. Is he just sucking for comfort or is he really hungry? I figure that if he was hungry he'd stop sucking on the pacifier and start crying, but he's still going at it. Should I check to see if he's hungry?

DelvinLyons

Asked by DelvinLyons at 3:47 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• congrats :)

i wouldn't give him a pacifier yet. whenever he wants to suck, let him nurse. it will help to make sure your supply is enough for him.

when he's nursing, can you see the pink of both his top and bottom lips? if your flow was too fast, he'd probably let go and gag a bit, thats what mine did. does it hurt to nurse? it could be that he just takes out too much milk between swallows. he'll get the hang of it :)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 3:59 PM on May. 28, 2009

• babies at this age just have a natural sucking instinct - its ok to let them have a pacifier inbetween feedings. I didn't let my son when he was first born because I didn't know it was a natural instinct and I didn't want him to get attached- in turn he didn't take to it when he needed it and didn't know how to comfort himself other than crying arg!
    Anonymous

• every things fine mom! your milk is just coming in and is having to adjust to how much baby wants. your baby is fine w a paci just like pp said. when your baby is hungry, he will start fidgeting and crying. you're doing just fine!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 7:59 PM on May. 28, 2009