Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about this.

I have a friend who has 3 beautiful children but they are all mentally handicapped which is fine except she wants another baby. I just think having another child when the first three are handicapped isn't smart. All same dad as well

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • well honestly who are you to stop her? its her life and you only live once....personally i wouldnt do it if i had 3 kids but your her friend and you should support her.........
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on May. 28, 2009


  • If this mother feels the desire for another child, and can handle them, then MORE POWER TO HER!!!!

    children with any handicaps are worthwhile and loveable just like any other child. Do you feel that people with disablities dont deserve fun, happiness, love, enjoyment, learning, life like anyone else?

    If she is truly your friend, then support her, she must know what she is doing.

    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • I agree with you. I knew are girl that had a mentally/physically handicaped child that she really worked hard to take care of. She wanted another child and the doctor told her she had a 90% chance that any children she had would have the same issues. In her mind she thought she would be in the 10%....and she was not. Now she has two handicapped children that she will have to care for and support her entire life.

    I was sad and frustrated that she just did not want to hear or believe what the doctor was telling her. She did not understand genetics very well and really believed that since other woman had healthy babies all the time she would too. Maybe ask your friend some questions to see if she understands that she could have the same issue-- she might not.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • Personally I think that spending the extra time with the first three rather then having another child is more beneficial to the whole family. Maybe help her to understand that a new baby will take away from the other children (I am not saying that she is a bad mother and cant handle 4 children but this goes for any family with or without handicap issues). If she does decide to have another child then support her decision but make sure she has all the information needed before going through with it, just talk with her or advise her to talk with someone else. Hope all works out well with that family
    Mel30248

    Answer by Mel30248 at 8:33 PM on May. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN