At wits end w/potty training my 4yr old daughter

She is awesome when it comes to peeing on the potty, but refuses to poo and will hold it until the middle of the night then goes in her pull up. We have tried to give her Miralax but she refuses to drink the milk or juice we put it in. Now it's like her body is in tuned to pooing in the middle of the night and she wakes us up crying that she pooped her pants. Any suggestions?

Jen1131973

Asked by Jen1131973 at 3:57 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• leave her in it, make her clean it up (dumping to poo in the toilet. GET RID OF THE DIAPER!! since you say she is on a schedule wake her up.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:58 PM on May. 28, 2009

• don't leave her in it. that is just wrong. try waking her up in the middle of the nite and getting her to sit on the potty...i kno easier said then done! maybe put her to sleep only wearing a tee shirt and wake her up to go potty? that way if she doesn't have the diaper or underwear or whatever on she will want to go on the potty instead of going in her bed. does she wake up and poop or just do it in her sleep? or try feedin her prunes in the mroning or something to help her go poop during the day. i'm totally not sure but i wish u good luck! i hope she goes on the potty soon for u!
    apple_pucker_me

Answer by apple_pucker_me at 8:51 PM on May. 28, 2009

• My friend went through this. I have a younger one, but I can tell you what she did. She got rid of the pull up. Of course she didnt' make her child sleep in poop. But she did have the little one help clean up. Her daughter started pooping in the potty two days later.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:25 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I came on here SPECIFICALLY looking for this question but didnt think I would find it! I am having the SAME problem with my 4 year old son! As if it doesnt drive me completely INSANE that he is doing this, he is scheduled to go to kindergarten in 2 1/2 months and that WONT happen if he keeps crapping himself. We have tried with holding priviledges, we have tried making him clean his own underwear, we have tried telling him we are so proud of him when he goes in the potty, we have tried making him sit on the toilet after he goes pee, we have tried EVERYTHING but NOTHING works:( PLEASE help me too because I am at my wits end with this!! BTW, what is Miralex?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:56 AM on May. 29, 2009

• We were there; our daughter was tying her shoes and reading by the time she was completely out of diapers. It is time to resort to bribery. Take her to the store and let her pick out something really special (for us, it was fuzzy elmo slippers). Put it somewhere that she can see it, but not touch it. Put a couple of pictures of it around the house. Tell her that when she poops in the potty three times in a row (use a reward chart), then she will get the prize.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:39 AM on May. 29, 2009

• rkoloms... I tried that, it didnt work. Well, it worked but he just started right up again after his times were done. We started with the City Bus (bcuz he is obsessed with it) i made a "poo-poo chart" and it had fiver squares. I got stickers and each time he went poop in the toilet he got a sticker but each time he pooped in his pants he had to take a sticker off. he filled up his chart in two days and then spent the next few weeks going in the pants. Then I did chuck-e-cheese, he filled up his chart right away and then as soon as he went to chuck e cheese, he started going in his underwear again
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:49 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Jaydin...He is now controlling the situation which means he is controlling you. When my daughter started to do that I made her help me clean up this mess and she got a spanking. It only took two spankings and she has not had an "accident" since.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:41 PM on May. 29, 2009