Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What programs do the public schools offer to children with ADD/ADHD?

I am trying to find out what else the schools have to offer in order for my 5yr old son, ADHD, to get a good education. Any information would be great. I am trying to prepare us for 1st grade.

Answer Question

Asked by singingangel74 at 4:00 PM on May. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Has you son gone to Kindergarten yet? If so, then the school department should have already met with you regarding your child's needs for the fall, and whether or not special accommodations need to be made available to him. If your son WILL be going to Kindergarten in the fall, then when you register him, you should have discussed his needs with the registrar. Do you have an official diagnosis? Your son may be "fine" at the Kindergarten/1st grade level, but if he is having trouble staying in task, completing his work, is disruptive to the other students, then I'm certain the teacher and administrators will make arrangements to sit down and discuss the problem.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 4:15 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • You really need to contact your district's special education department. Things may vary district to district and for you to get the correct information, you need to speak to a representative from your home district.


    Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:24 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • He is in kindergarten now. He has had a lot of problems. Academically he is doing great. I was told that he could be in advanced classes come first grade....its the behavior thats the big prob. Disruptive, wont finish work, refuses to do work at times, anger issues, ect. He does much better in a smaller class size. But they said that was not an option for him. All the classes are the same. I asked the principal, counselor, social worker, and his teacher about the special education classes and they dont feel it is neccessary. But he struggles so much to sit and learn in a such a structured setting. What should I do?

    Answer by singingangel74 at 5:31 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • if special education classes is not an option , you can have the counselor set up a behavior plan.
    it reinforces positive behavior, and generally works very well.

    Answer by mustanggrl74 at 8:17 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • Rather than look for accomodations (which can have a negative affect on a child), work to get your child ready for first grade. If this were my kid I would find a therapist who works with people who have ADD/ADHD; and teaches them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local libraray, though you may want to buy a copy for the mom (and the step son); there is lots of information at his website:
    Next I would switch my home to one of clean (unprocessed whole) foods. There is so much scientific evidence linking attention issues with food additives. You can do this on your own, or follow the Feingold Diet
    Finally, start that child on fish oil supplements; use a good brand like Nordic Naturals.

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:54 PM on May. 28, 2009

  • You can get your son on a 504 plan. If he as any kind of learning disability then you can ask for a meeting to decide whether he needs to be tested & follow the process to get an IEP(Indivualized Education Plan). Check with your local school district to see what other programs they have to offer. Another thing to do is look online for tips to give the teacher & other staff members about ADHD and what can help your child in the classroom, lunchroom,etc. Make sure to get a meeting with your sons teacher before school starts or within the first couple of days. Having the right teacher can make all the difference,believe me! You should also read up on your rights because if you can go in sounding well-informed & knowledgable about 504 plans, the IEP process and your sons condition you will be much better off. You can pick up a school handbook from the school district or the local school which will contain that information.

    Answer by bookworm65 at 4:18 AM on May. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.